Thursday, January 16, 2014

Being Flexible

My New Year's resolution has been a little harder than expected! Katie has decided in the past week that it's time for a growth spurt, so instead of her normal 1 waking per night, she's been waking up 3 times. I'm a little tired and grumpy. Sleep regression is always frustrating.

The past few days have been a little stressful. We started going to the ward preschool group, which I'm hosting next week! I'm excited. Joseph didn't seem to get the concept of sitting and paying attention for the story or craft, but oh well. It's his first experience with all of this. All the ladies live on my street who are doing this group, so I can walk. It wasn't easy to go just 3 doors down with all the kids, but we made it there and back without too much crying.

Katie had her 2-month (late) checkup on Tuesday. She's growing up fast! 12 lbs. (40th) and 24 inches (60th). That will probably change. The big head probably won't (98th).

I've been working out faithfully, even though I can't get more than 30-45 minutes in very easily. I'm determined to have the shape I did before any babies! Since I was never small to begin with (a size 10), I know I can do it. I did it a year after I had Joseph. I didn't make it after Kenny since I was still nursing him when I got pregnant with Katie (and didn't wean him until he was a year, so 3 months pregnant). I'm trying to break my bad habit of snacking right before bed. One thing that's really helped is giving up (most) dairy. I still eat some butter, but that's about it. I've felt a ton better because of it. My pregnancies have made me moderately lactose-intolerant, and I was tired of feeling crummy from eating dairy products. It's definitely made a difference! I know I could do lactase pills, but for right now, I'm not missing anything except ice cream, really. That, and dairy is no health food and not a requirement for nutrition. (I get my "creamy" fix from curry! Coconut milk is so yummy!)

So yes, resolutions are going pretty well. It always takes me a week or two to get used to the change in schedule so I can incorporate (or reincorporate) things into my life. Katie has started staying up longer (2 hours) instead of 1 1/2, so that changes things too. She is going to bed earlier though, for which I am grateful. We're moving right along.

James had his birthday on Sunday. It was great. I got him a Wii from the pawn shop, along with Wii Fit and the balance board to go with it. Pawn shops are awesome. Still, this is going to count as a Father's Day present as well. I hope he uses it to get working out! It's pretty interesting that Wii says I'm obese, but my strength/balance is really good, so my "age" is 28. That's not too bad, and I'm going to bring it down so my "Mii" doesn't look like a puffy balloon. :)

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you gave up dairy. I'm not sure I could even if I wanted to. Do you use any type of almond milk or similar products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. What I mainly did was start making meals that aren't dairy-centered (like alfredo, for example). I can still make 2/3 of the dinners we eat. I got out of the habit of drinking milk a few years ago, and none of the subs taste much like whole milk. I do enjoy lots of curries with coconut milk, so that satisfies my "creamy" craving. As for cheese, I don't really miss it, and that surprises me. I guess feeling better makes all the difference in being able to give it up! And I do eat butter still, but that's about it.

      Delete