Thursday, January 14, 2016

Personal Progress

I completed Personal Progress as a young woman and didn't think about it again for several years. At the age of 22, I found myself feeling empty. I had just graduated from college, had a baby, and didn't know what to do next. I felt inspired to do Personal Progress again, so I did. It filled the void I felt at the time and helped me become a better wife and mother.

The first 5 1/2 years of my marriage were spent pregnant, nursing, or both. Now that I've had over a year without either and it's the dead of winter, I've been feeling that same void - where I'm not quite sure what I should be doing or learning. I hate to admit that I've been bored, but it's true. The slow pace of winter seems to happen so slowly that I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

So I've started Personal Progress again. It's been long enough that I don't remember a lot of the scriptures or experiences. Of course there are endless projects to be had as long as I can come up with ideas. I already have ideas for all of them! So far, I'm working on getting better at doing Katie's hair. It sounds silly, but I really want to be good at making her hair look nice, even if it's short-lived right now. My mom never knew how to French braid, and though I know how, it always looks terrible. I'm determined to get in a lot of practice so by the time she goes to school, she will look somewhat put-together. We'll see how that goes. Once I feel proficient enough, maybe I'll even post the pictures.

Other than that, things are pretty routine around here. I definitely can't wait for spring and summer so these cloudy days will go away and I can get outside in the dirt. Until then, it's snuggle and read time. I'm working on a list of "100 Books to Read Before You Die". I had already read about 1/3 when I started. I hope to get a good idea of which authors I like best so I can always have a good classic to read. I already know I won't like at least half of them, but that's okay.

James is 28! I made an ugly, but tasty ice cream roll cake. I got him a few small things he asked for and made him some caramels. I bet they won't last another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment