Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Miracles

Last year was tough financially. I don't fully remember the pain of trials we went through then, because our situation has stabilized and the future doesn't look scarily uncertain anymore. I'm much more comfortable with the way life is going than I was last July and August. I felt that it just wasn't fair. We had avoided debt up until 2012, and suddenly we had 3 loans. We didn't even qualify to take out the other 2 (besides a student loan) without having co-signers, due to our lack of credit history. I felt that we would never see those loans paid off, because X looked like a huge amount of money. James started his job, so we started saving immediately and slowly making payments on all 3 loans. I resigned myself to being in debt for at least another 5 years, not knowing how we'll ever buy a house, get another car, or build up a substantial savings. A teacher's salary is plenty for us, but we aren't going to be millionaires.

Kenny miraculously took a long nap yesterday afternoon, which allowed me to completely do our taxes. I wasn't expecting much, but to my surprise, we got a very good refund. This refund is worth X-3. Yes, just 3 dollars short of those 2 loans. Since we've already paid on them, they are no longer worth X, so we have enough to buy a new computer, something we really need. (The laptop is falling apart at the seams and 3 1/2 years old!)

I'm still in shock that such a wonderful thing could happen. If we can keep up a "debt snowball", we could be out of debt by next year, easily! By paying off the ones we have, we will establish good credit, something we still wouldn't have by now. A house could be in our near future, and that makes me very excited. The Lord was watching out for us this whole time. Instead of handing us X amount of money, he helped us grow through the tough times, then gave it all back this year so we can continue on with our lives. I will never forget this experience, and it's definitely one that I will share with my children as soon as they will understand. Pay your tithing! It really works. :)

4 comments:

  1. We had a very similar thing happen to us a year after we got married. I truly believe paying your tithing makes all the difference! I track every penny that comes in and and out this house, and when you add up the numbers we just simply shouldn't have what we do. I'm so so thankful for all the blessings and help we've had along the way!

    And I'm so excited that you could have a house soon!! I think I live vicariously through others buying houses since I know I wont have one for many more years haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we will within a year, but who knows? We have to make sure where we're "settling down" because it could be here or SE Idaho.

      Delete
  2. Wow! So wonderful. As for credit - I highly recommend getting a good credit card, using it for everything possible (esp big bills like medical stuff or loan payments), and paying it off each month. We have impeccable credit mostly because of that.

    And I'm jealous of a house in the near future. ;) We are still a few years away from a 20% down payment, sigh.... esp here in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, down payments...

      It would probably take 10 years to save up for one in Vernal. Houses here are pricey.

      Delete