Thursday, April 25, 2024

Yard Work, Photos

We spent quite a  bit of time in the yard on Saturday thatching, raking, cleaning up trash, cleaning out the shed, and sweeping off the walkways and patio. James took stuff to D.I. and I took a load of stuff to the dump, then went to IFA to get the year's fertilizer. I put the humate and round 1 of fertilizer down yesterday and we turned the sprinklers on to get in a good watering. We should have a green yard within the week! I always dread setting everything up, but it's usually not a big deal.

I got everything done with the photos that I intended to. It was a great source of frustration to do the Google Photos accounts for my parents. I had to keep verifying with a code every time I wanted to do something, and that was annoying. It also took a while to get everything uploaded, and I still don't have all of Mom's stuff since she's not tech savvy and I'm far away. I did share all of the old Phenix photos with both of them and created self-updating albums on my dad's account for each married sibling. There weren't as many photos of us as I'd hoped, but oh well. I've done my research on doing slides, and I think I'm going to go for it. I learned that the slide to digital converter also does negatives, but I don't know if I want to go there.

Pros:
1. Negatives make better quality pictures.
2. There may be pictures that I didn't have loose copies of or aren't in scrapbooks. (Unlikely, though. Most negatives were with stacks of pictures from the same time period.)

Cons:
1. Negatives tend to degrade over time, so I might go to a lot of work for nothing.
2. The color might be off, and I'd have to learn how to fix it.
3. They'd need to be cleaned off first.
4. They're fairly disorganized because I didn't think I'd use them for anything. (But they are all in one bag, more or less.)
5. I'd have to scan all of them that are on one strip and then delete the bad ones, which in my experience, is 80% of them. Having done all the digital photos, I don't think it would be worth the effort.

When I'm in NC in June, I'll get my dad's slides from his mission and convert them. Then, in July, I will get Rex's and do those. I'm pretty excited to see all the mission pictures from Argentina and Italy.

If the slides turn out well, maybe I will charge to do them for people in my ward. I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment