Monday, July 2, 2012

So Many Thoughts!

Don't you hate when you have a million things to say but have a hard time getting them all down on paper? For that reason, this blog probably won't make a lot of sense. Well, the paragraphs won't have anything to do with each other. That's okay, though, right? I mean, this is my blog, and it's not like anyone's paying me to write it. :)

I love the metaphor of being jealous of others' success as downing a quart of pickle juice. (Thanks, Elder Holland!) I've never liked pickles, and I definitely don't like their juice. I find myself drinking it on occasion, however. It's not always inherent qualities that someone has. It's the fact that "good" things happen to them and "bad" things happen to me. I forget that I'm comparing my trials with their blessings. Common problem? I think so.

Getting up early has been a real blessing this week. I've never loved any time before 7:00. I don't know how I made it through Seminary (with perfect attendance, even) for 4 years. However, a still, small voice has gently nudged me to wake up earlier and read my scriptures. I'm glad that I listened. It's the only time of day that I'm the only one awake. (I love to peek in on my sweet, sleeping boys: all 3 of them.)

Here's a nerd confession, but I really like watching Star Trek: the Next Generation. It's fascinating to me that Data, who is an android, desires to be human, even though he already appears to be perfect. Being human is a wonderful thing. I'm come to realize that our imperfections aren't so much imperfections but rather tools to help us become more perfect. I'm working on it.

I've been inspired to start a new blog after a 6-week experiment of living on our food storage (partially for the heck of it, and partially because we needed to.) You can find it here: http://realfoodstorageforrealbudgets.blogspot.com/. I'm still working out the kinks, because I forgot how little  I know about web design, even while using templates. I aim to post about twice a week, and it's geared toward college students! (Or anyone living in an apartment, really.) I hope it helps someone.

1 comment:

  1. The gospel and star trek in one post; I love it! I look forward to your blog. We've changed a lot of things about how we do stuff since being in NYC. One thing that's been great about it is having to use powdered milk more. I just can't buy all the milk we usually use, so I use powdered milk in all my cooking now.

    ReplyDelete