Thursday, March 13, 2014

The End

...of diapers for Joseph! Okay, he does wear one at night just in case. I'd say that after one week, though, that he is completely potty trained! I suppose waiting until a child is older than 3 1/2 does have its advantages. He learned really fast. Dumping out the little potty isn't my favorite thing ever, but I'm so happy to have fewer diapers to change (and buy). He filled up a potty chart, so he's going to pick out a "Super Why" toy (which hopefully Walmart has) as his reward. Bribery at its finest!

Our car has been having problems for a few months now, but now it's REALLY in trouble. We know the exact problem (an ignition switch) but have been too lazy to fix it before now. Now, it just won't start. Hopefully we can coax it to start one more time so we can get it to the shop and not have to get it towed. :( There are definitely lame things about having only one car. I wish the timing had been right to buy another one with the tax return, but oh well. The repair shop is right by James's work, and he has a friend who can take him to school. (The funny thing is that his friend's car also has problems starting, so James has given him rides in the past.)

I've made a few more lifestyle changes aside from giving up sugar, but I'm not quite ready to talk about all of them yet to people, because I feel like a weirdo. Perhaps I'll say it here since so few people read it. I've been studying nutrition-type stuff for a few years now, and though I've made many changes, I always felt that I could be doing better. I read a book called Discovering the Word of Wisdom that was the final nail in the coffin, so to speak. It really inspired me to adopt a completely plant-based way of eating. James thinks I'm a little crazy, but I honestly feel great so far. I can adapt many of our recipes, and there are only two things (two!) that I'll be buying that I've never bought before. I plan on starting a new blog as well to feature whole food, plant-based recipes, so look for that within a few months if you're interested.


3 comments:

  1. So whole foods, plant-based diet. How does it compare to going vegan or paleo? Who wrote that book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Birch. She has a website by the same name. It's basically vegan with only whole foods - no weird soy products, oils, or sugars. I love it! I recommend the book.

      Delete
  2. Did you guys manage to make it start one last time in order for it to be taken to the garage? It would have been an added expense if it was towed. At this point, minimizing car repair expenses could have been handy. Then again, you guys say it's only the ignition switch, so it must not have been that expensive.
    Taleen Kizirian@ JimAndJacks.com

    ReplyDelete