Thursday, March 6, 2014

Potty Time

Finally, potty training is in full swing. Despite all the things I've read and heard in the past, a parent doesn't really do the training. The child has to do that himself, but the parent provides the encouraging environment. For us, that means no more diaper-wearing during the day, a chart with stickers, and M&M's. So far, Joseph has had about a 50% success rate, which I'd say is pretty good. Cleaning up #1 off the floor or carpet is no big deal. There haven't been any #2 accidents, and that's what I was most worried about. There's no going back now! By the time he turns 4 (end of May), I'm hoping he's trained day and night. Considering how old he is, I think we'll be good. He also hates being messy, so that is motivation in itself.

I am quitting refined sugars for Lent again this year. Since I had to give up ice cream already, I don't think the transition will be too hard. I've been making an effort to drink more water, and I've realized that I don't actually need snacks during the day. Nursing a baby while living in a desert in a sure cause of dehydration, so I think I'm drinking about 14 cups of water a day now (instead of 10, which hey, is still a lot).

We took a day trip to Salt Lake on Saturday. It was a ton of fun. We had lunch with James's family and went to the Utah Natural History Museum. It was AWESOME. There was even a chocolate tasting, which I loved. The lady giving it remarked that real chocolate has 5 ingredients or less, as opposed to candy, which had a lot more. I love real chocolate! We tasted two samples of 70%, and they were really different from each other, but both amazing. Seriously, chocolate is the best. The white chocolate sample wasn't bad, but white chocolate just isn't the same (and isn't real chocolate either!)

Everything is good. I can't be happier about getting these baby pounds (and inches) off. I keep losing about a pound a week, so I could reach my goal by my anniversary! (That's July 3rd). That would be so exciting. We'll see, though.

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck with the potty training!! It's the worst part of parenting I think so far . . . but it's such an accomplishment! You'll feel so proud of your kiddo and like a warrior that can conquer the world! he he Not to mention you'll be saving lots of MOney!! or do you do cloth? I can't remember, less mess at least! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cloth here - I've been too afraid to try. I am very proud!

      Delete
  2. Good luck potty training! I'm praying for you. We were doing well until she had a bout of diarrhea just after her first consistency milestone. Now it's like she's forgotten everything. And I don't have the patience or will power to be consistent in the reteaching. Any advice Sacha? Also, I wonder if nursing invites dehydration just as much if not more than living in the desert. I've only nursed one so it's hard to say. Keep drinking and good luck with Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I can't say what the best potty training tip is. Training Joseph went very smoothly. Wetting himself was a great motivation for him not to do it again (much).

      Delete