Thursday, August 26, 2021

Broken Stuff, Starting School

I don't remember if I said that James installed a new dishwasher last Tuesday. On Thursday, the washing machine broke. Thankfully, I was finished with 2/3 of the laundry, so I took the last load to the laundromat on Saturday. I took the older boys with me, and we also got some breakfast as a reward for them keeping up on their chores. (I still need to work on motivating Katie, but we'll get there.) I also bought them new shoes for school.

We played games with some friends on Saturday night. I really love hanging out with other teachers. We played Betrayal at House on the Hill. Everyone won but me because I was the traitor.

Monday was Back to School night. I took Katie and Kenny to the elementary school, and James took Joseph to the middle school. I think everyone was kind of nervous, but it worked out.

I went to yoga on Tuesday for the first time in a while. It was really nice. The thought I came away with was that I really don't want to hate anyone. It takes way too much energy. I have to keep unfollowing people on social media, but it's completely worth it so I can maintain my boundaries.

School officially started on Wednesday. So far, the biggest challenge is getting up earlier to cook breakfast for Joseph. His bus comes at 6:55 while the elementary bus comes at 8:00. That means everyone wakes up earlier, and that's led to some grouchiness and fighting. 

Kenny didn't feel well yesterday, which is a common morning thing but is usually resolved with food. He made a miraculous recovery after I gave him an antacid. I still kept him home to be safe, but I think he's inherited my acid reflux. I used to throw up pretty often in the mornings before school (sometimes on the bus) because of acid reflux, but no one knew that's what it was at the time. I didn't make the connection until I started suffering from it during pregnancy. (It went away by 5th grade and didn't reappear until pregnancy.) It's a bit frustrating to think about now because I suffered a whole lot, and it's a pretty easy problem to treat.

Lewis is doing Upstart, the same online preschool that Katie did a few years ago. He seems to like it so far. I hope by next week we can settle into a good schedule, just the little kids and me. This week has been weird so far. The kids do have school at home on Fridays again this year, which I like.

Nash should arrive tomorrow night, and he's going to fix my washing machine. Yay! It's one more trip to the laundromat till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment