Friday, December 17, 2010

Looking Back

This year has been a year of big changes! Change sure makes things interesting, and it definitely makes time fly. I really liked a phrase that I read in Gospel Principles last week.

"If it is for our good, the Lord will work miracles for us."

I never realize how many miracles have happened in my life until I sit down and think about them. Not all miracles are big ones, but many come in the small "tender mercies" that the Lord blesses us with each day. These are some from this year. I know that there will be many more to come, even in these last few weeks of the year!

1. The year started off with my student teaching. The first time I looked at my class, I was deathly afraid of teaching them--or even being able to reach them. Through continual inspiration and lots of work, I learned to love my class and develop a greater love for teaching. Somehow, I was also able to get enough sleep to get through those demanding days!

2. I was able to graduate 2 months before Joseph was born, which gave me some much-needed time to relax. There hasn't been a ton of that since, but I'm glad for those 2 months spent reading and putting my feet up (literally--which helped me avoid looking all puffy!).

3. My pregnancy/birth went without complications. My recovery was also wonderfully short, which was a great blessing. I had dreaded it before and didn't completely know what to expect. Even all of my baby weight was gone quickly!

4. I have received countless little moments of joy with my little boy. Even though he is frustrating sometimes, the transition from full-time student to full-time mom has been awesome.

5. We have been able to afford him!

6. I've had the opportunity to teach Relief Society. I really think that this calling was more for me than anyone. I never used to bring the manual to church, but now I love it. It amazes me how much the inspiration can flow into my mind when I sit down and ask for it. It also amazes me how great of a teacher the Spirit is. I have so little to do with what the sisters get out of the class.

7. Both James and I have met some wonderful friends in our ward. I didn't want to go to a student ward, but I've loved it, despite all its quirks.

8. James was able to work full time during the summer, even though jobs are really scarce.

9. Because of James's work in the summer, we will have a wonderful apartment to move into which will save us tons of money. The speed at which the apartment has gone together is simply amazing. A month ago, it was still basically a room. A week and half from now, it will be a livable (and mostly done) apartment. I'm excited.

10. James has continued to make A's and earn his academic scholarship. What a blessing! BYU-I is so wonderful. I never once had to pay tuition. :)

little faux hawk baby!
Those are only the big miracles from this year, and I bet I'm leaving out a bunch. I'm so grateful for the gift of personal revelation. Whether I'm teaching, cooking, taking care of the baby, or not doing anything at all, I'm grateful for those little bits of light that come to my mind that help me live my life better. Inspiration has been especially important this year in making big decisions, and we have some more big decisions coming up soon. Looking back helps me realize that there's no reason to worry about the future.

1 comment:

  1. We are VERY glad that you guys moved to this ward! And also glad that neither of us are moving too far away. :)

    That picture of Joseph is awesome - he looks like a little baby model!

    ReplyDelete