Monday, June 25, 2012

Family!

It's good to be home after a wonderful family reunion with the Heads. We left on Thursday to travel to Ashton, ID, just north of Rexburg. It was a lot of fun, despite the mosquitoes and freezing cold nights! Well, they weren't literally freezing, but you know, it's Idaho. Thursday night we had a little family meeting and campfire with songs. We didn't sleep in the tent yet, because not all of the family had arrived, so we slept in one of the rooms. It was super hot, so I slept terrible. The boys did great, though. Kenny didn't grunt all night...hurray!

Friday, I learned how to braid rugs from Grandma Head! It was so awesome to learn, and it's really not that hard to do, either. I'm currently making a potholder to replace some of my really old ones. They're looking sad. After lunch, I took a nap with the boys while everyone went to Mesa Falls. I was in desperate need of one due to my lack of sleep the night before. It was a great nap, needless to say. Then, I helped make dinner. For those who have never had the Cafe Rio cilantro ranch dressing, it's the best dressing in the world. Period. My mother-in-law has the recipe. I just stuck all the stuff in the blender, but the whole family raved about it and kept asking for the recipe, so I had to tell them to go ask Melodie. Haha. I need to get it from her as well, but I never have fresh cilantro and don't remember to ask her. We had another family meeting around the campfire to do poetry. The Heads are CRAZY about Robert W. Service. I love it. (Think "The Cremation of Sam McGee".) We quote one of his poems at our house all the time...

Don't stab father with the bread knife, mother,
'Twas a gift when you were wed.
But if you must stab father with the bread knife, mother,
Please use another for the bread.

If that doesn't describe the family's sense of humor, I don't know what does. :)

Saturday, there was a bow and arrow contest, a basketball tournament, and then dinner at "the ranch" (G & G Head's house) in Victor. It was awesome to see how well those homemade bows worked. Sunday, we had a testmony meeting and Swedish pancakes before packing up to go home. James and I took the scenic route (US-20) rather than the interstate to get home. It's 20 miles shorter but takes about 15 minutes longer, due to slower speeds, but it's gorgeous! Most of it really is very scenic and beautiful. I got to see Craters of the Moon as well, which is really interesting. 

Needless to say, it was a fun, exhausting time. Joseph got to play with his uncles and aunts, and everyone thought his basketball obsession was pretty funny. Kenny got passed around so much that I only held him to feed him, pretty much. It was great to catch up with everyone and see how much the little ones have changed. Why do they have to grow up so fast? 

And why do I never take any pictures?

We will definitely be going camping again sometime. I know now how cold it really gets at night and that a sleeping bag and heavy blanket are a must. I also have confidence that I can sleep through it all just fine...on my air mattress! Man, that thing is comfortable, as long as it's inflated. :) Hopefully we will go again before winter hits. I'm still surprised at how much fun I had, once we figured out how to stay warm enough. (And thank you, Kenny, for sleeping from 10-6 every night!)

1 comment:

  1. I love that poem :) And I have the same question, where are your pictures?

    ReplyDelete