Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Rent Rant

I've mentioned before that I don't like this apartment very much. I think I should clarify why I'm so pessimistic about this place.

First, it's the most expensive place we've ever lived in. It costs us $805 a month, but don't be fooled. That's a very low rent for a 3-bedroom in Vernal, because most cost $1200-1400. This apartment is old, something we've dealt with before, but it's never been updated, unlike the other old places we've lived in.

The kitchen floor looks about 50 years old. Mopping doesn't improve its appearance.

The carpet smells bad because of recent flooding, despite our keeping a fan running on it. We couldn't open the windows due to rain the last few days, which didn't help.

The windows are moldy. Nothing I do helps keep it away.

The toilet runs.

We don't have screens on any of our windows, and management says they don't provide them.

No dishwasher.

No gas, meaning electricity heating everything.

Most kitchen drawers are broken.

The water heater provides only 10 minutes of hot water at a time.

Ceiling heat (horrible idea!) cost us $200 in January, and we didn't even keep the place warm or heat the office at all.

Our neighbors are very loud and throw cigarette butts and trash in the yard (not really a yard, but a patch of grass outside my window).

Management is hard to get a hold of, and they never fix ANYTHING.

I could go on, but those are the worst things.

I've made the best of this apartment for long enough. I can make no further improvements, and I've done my best to keep it clean and well-maintained, considering I'm only a renter.

I'm done!

We're house hunting, just started the process for getting a loan. I guess even with loans from last year, we don't have a lot of credit, so that means getting lots of documentation. I spent an hour on the phone today, but hey, it's all worth it. :)

2 comments:

  1. WAHOOOO!!!! House hunting is fun, scary, crazy, and just over all nothing like what i thought it it would be. Home ownership, is good and bad, but now that I own a home I am so grateful. Good luck. I am excited to see what you get.

    ReplyDelete