Thursday, October 3, 2013

Growing Up

baby Kenny at 9 months old
When I got pregnant with my little girl, I already had a baby in the house. Kenny was 9 months old at the time, still nursing, and only knew a few words other than "mama" and "dada". He didn't even crawl yet! I can't believe how much that little guy has grown up since then or that he'll be a big brother in a matter of weeks.

Kenny weaned to a bottle at a year and now takes a cup after a few grumpy days this week. I'm so proud of him! Bottles were almost like pacifiers to him, because he'd walk around the house with one hanging out of his mouth.

He's had his 2nd haircut - no more curls! :(

He plays and interacts with Joseph and knows more than 50 words. I lost count a while ago. He can use a few short sentences.

He walks! Finally! I was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen, but finally did at 16 1/2 months.

He sits facing forward in the car. I was recommended to rear face for 2 years (though the law still says 1 year), but since we have a Corolla, I made the switch this week to be able to accommodate 3 car seats in the back. Yes, they will fit safely! I'll have to take of picture once all 3 kids are riding in the back. It's going to look ridiculous when we go on any trips.
big boy Kenny, almost 18 months old
Kenny loves books, just like his big brother Joseph. They both fight over which ones I'm going to read. Kenny's favorite is King Bidgood's in the Bathtub since it has a song to it.

He's also getting pretty good at fine motor skills, important things like putting Duplos together and eating with a fork and spoon. (For him, it doesn't mean any less of a mess during meals, just a more organized one!)

He's old enough for Nursery as of this Sunday! Since it's Conference, he will have to wait a week.

It's a great relief to me that I'm not completely robbing my baby of being a baby. He's definitely a big boy now. I have to wonder where all the time went, because it seems that his baby days (even before I was pregnant) flew by twice as fast as Joseph's. If that's the case, I don't know how often I'll get to stop and think about baby girl. Perhaps I'll manage to get a few pictures before she turns 21.

Until then, I wait for the glorious day when this pregnancy is over!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! Did you go through a denial phase with either kid when they suddenly and undeniably became a toddler? Victoria still plays baby sometimes just so I'll "baby" her. I've been wondering about the balance of making her grow up too fast simply because we want another baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did! They grow up whether we want them to or not.

      Delete