Friday, October 25, 2013

Katie Anne Head

Having done 3 births now, I totally give up with trying to predict anything that's going to happen or make plans! Here's why.

I was a couple of days late again. My doctor and ultrasound had both predicted that I'd be early - for once - but I didn't really believe it since it has yet to happen. It turns out that I was right to assume I'd make it to my due date again. We went to Church as always and just kept waiting. I felt some contractions that almost felt real that day, but they stopped.

Monday was a pretty normal day. I got lots of cleaning done, went on a walk with my mom and the boys, and even mowed the lawn since I felt TOO good for having a baby due. Haha. Nothing worked, at least, it didn't seem to do anything but make me tired and grouchy.

The next morning, I definitely woke up feeling labor pains. This was Tuesday, so I was 2 days overdue, technically. The pains started at 3 a.m., just like with both the boys. The contractions were hitting every 6-7 minutes and went on until 1 p.m. when they stopped.

I was pretty annoyed at this point. I know it was the real thing. I've even read that longer labors can pause and start up again. I went to my doctor's appointment and I'd dilated some since the previous week, so I wasn't imagining things! He stripped my membranes (this was 4 p.m.) and I went home feeling pretty hopeful.

Everything started where it left off at 6 p.m. I took a nice, long bath in my jetted tub and hung out with James and my mom until 11 p.m. We went to the hospital and checked in. I was pretty annoyed at that point because the nurse acted like she might send me home since I hadn't changed from 3 cm. We walked around the hospital for an hour, and then I was at a 4. I hurt pretty badly by then and was grouchy as can be since I hadn't managed more than an hour of sleep since 3 the previous morning. (I'd tried, but I just couldn't sleep through the pain even though they were mild contractions.)

I got an epidural around 3 a.m. and spent the next few hours in warm, tingly bliss. By 7 I felt I needed more medication, so they dosed me up twice more to make it stronger. I'm sure glad I asked! Katie was born at 7:51 sunny-side up. Unlike Kenny, she didn't turn around, so her head was a really funny shape. I could still feel plenty - enough to get the job done. She weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz., so a little bigger than the boys, and was 20 inches long. Since her birth, she's been as calm as can be and asleep for probably 20 of the 24 hours. I know that will change, but it's been great for me to get some rest, even in a hospital bed that makes me sweat like crazy. I feel pretty good after some sleep and a hot shower, plus real clothes that aren't maternity.

Joseph definitely loves her and keeps asking to hold his sister. Kenny just points and says, "Baby! Baby!" I don't know if it will sink in until after we get home, but I predict some jealousy on his part since he can still be a Momma's boy.

I can't wait to go home and enjoy this little lady. She's really cute with lots of dark hair, something I didn't expect at all! The boys were both blond. I wonder if her hair will get lighter or stay brown.

And now that we've been home...

She still sleeps a ton! Last night she slept for 8 hours straight. It's hard to catch her awake so far, but when she is, she's very calm and likes to look around. I feel a little bit less like I got run over by a truck, but recovery is always like that. (I wish I got to take advantage of the 8 hour stretch, but I was in too much pain to sleep well!) So far, she reminds me a lot of Joseph as a newborn - pretty much the most mellow personality you could give a baby. We're so happy to have her around.

4 comments:

  1. So your pattern is to have them a few days "late" and after a long labor that comes and goes but ensures you're not going to sleep much? God bless you. She is beautiful! And hooray for mellow babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! She is beautiful! I love the name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everyone! We sure are happy to have her.

    ReplyDelete