Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Heading Out

*Pretend I published this last Wednesday, and it will make a lot more sense! Our internet was down.

Well, last weekend's trip was stressful. I simply don't travel well. I try so hard to be prepared, even printing a packing list that I've kept on my computer after a certain trip where I forgot to take shirts. Yes, shirts. However, I just can't sleep the first night in a strange place, no matter what I do. (Even "not thinking about it" doesn't help.) For a one-night trip with a day where we try to get lots done, I always end up feeling awfully tired and grumpy. Plus, the packing for one day of travel is almost as time-consuming as for a week of travel.

We left Friday afternoon to go to Gretchen (my cousin's) wedding reception. I hadn't seen her in 4 years! We had a great time eating waffles, which is the coolest idea ever. Then, we headed to SLC to meet up with James's family. The rest of the story is the same as any day trip - went to bed late, couldn't sleep, kids got up early. We went to the museum, and I felt pretty good until afternoon, when it really hit me that I was exhausted. We went to Hill AFB museum, and I almost fell asleep when I was feeding Katie. The weather was a bit depressing, and I didn't pack for it. I really hate spring sometimes.

The kids have all had pink eye in the last week. Kenny and Katie have a well check today, but they will have to go on the sick side. They are all recovering from little colds. Really, no one is that miserable; they just look icky and gunky. Thankfully, the cream Grandpa called in for them works pretty fast.

I leave for NC tomorrow with Katie, and James will take the boys to Rexburg. I can't wait! I wish they could all come, but it's going to be a quick trip, just until Sunday. I've packed for Katie and me - just a backpack and diaper bag since I'm cheap. I'm leaving the rest of the packing up to James so he can see what it's like. ;)

So for now, I say goodbye to Utah and hello to North Carolina. It's time for a few days of real spring!

Behaving themselves!

I do drive sometimes. Here's proof.

James contemplating the origin of life.

cute train-themed restaurant in Heber. This train goes around the restaurant ceiling.

Best part (aside from the food): play tables for the kids!


2 comments:

  1. I've been to that restaurant in Heber twice for two family reunions! It's fun and the food's pretty tasty too. Good luck with all your travelling. I'm glad the pink eye cleared up in time for you and Katie to fly to NC. The other day Greg and I were discussion moving out there for a post doc. I'll have to email you more about it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so cool! Let me know if you need my email. I bet you have it, though.

      Delete