Thursday, July 10, 2014

Eating an Elephant

They say that to eat an elephant, one must do it one bite at a time.

Two projects of elephant (or perhaps dinosaur) size are going on right now. One involves yardwork, and the other is family history.

First, the yard. It's half grass, half river rock (the giant ones, much bigger than gravel) in the backyard. We own a slice from the back corner of our grass to the front - a triangle shape - that was just desert/dirt when we moved in. The goal: move all the river rock to fill in that side yard, then plant grass. So far, it's slow going, but it's good to see progress. We've spent many hours of July outside, so we are all getting nice tans. Once the grass is planted (seed, since it's 1/10th the cost of sod), James is going to build a dry river bed. It will look SO COOL! Next summer...and then, I will take pictures of it. for now, the half-done-ness bothers me a bit. I like to get things done, and quickly, but some of those rocks are 8 lbs. apiece. One rock at a time...

As for family history, I've been lax over the past few years. I have repented and found many new people who need their work done already. I can't say enough about familysearch.org. It has come a long way over the past 3 years, and it in no way resembles what it looked like in 2000 when I started using it. I just can't believe it's been that long! I hung up my big pedigree chart as motivation to keep going. When I die, I am going to fill out that front page (9 generations) or die trying! :)

I feel like all I've eaten so far is the elephant's little toe, but hey, it's better than nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Keep trying! I'm excited for your yard project and for your ancestors. My family history is on hold for a few weeks to finish more urgent things. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete