Saturday, September 1, 2018

Samantha Elizabeth Head

What a crazy few days it's been! James's family was here last Thursday - Saturday, and we did the usual hanging out, working, eating dinner, and playing games. Saturday night, we just relaxed because I was really tired. I made it through Sunday as well even though I wasn't feeling too great, as usual.

Monday and Tuesday were tough days for me. I tried to rest but also get ready to have a baby. James did mosquito abatement on Monday but not Tuesday because I needed the emotional support and the dryer was broken, so he took the wet clothes to the laundromat. Tender mercy: I was able to text Myles before he left NC, so he brought the parts with him and fixed it already.

Wednesday morning, I got a phone call saying that the hospital was full and I couldn't come in for my induction. I was crushed at first, but it ended up being an okay day. For one, I had some real contractions and cramping that kind of let me know I was ready for this anyway. I prayed for months to know if induction was the right option for me because it is often seen as selfish or convenient, but I came to know that it's something I needed to do.

We went in Thursday morning at 7 a.m., so I was at 40 weeks and 2 days. Pitocin started around 8:00 and I settled in. It actually wasn't as painful as I remembered, but I made very little progress at first (starting off at 3 cm and 25%). I did some walking around the break up the monotony, but it didn't help much with progression. The doctor broke my water around 4:30 and then it really started to hurt. I got an epidural around 6:00. That's when things got a little crazy. The baby moved back up a bit and didn't like the stronger contractions, so it started affecting her heart rate negatively. Basically what it came down to was trying to give me enough Pitocin to have productive enough contractions without stressing out the baby. I had been up to 18 units, almost the maximum dose, before my water was broken but they had to start over with no Pitocin to see how much she'd tolerate. I think it was back up to 4-5 units, and that was enough to keep things going.

I actually felt all right through this. At one point, we weren't sure if a C-section was a possibility or not, but it never came to that. (Not like with Lewis where I got wheeled to the OR!) I was reasonably comfortable with the epidural but bored and sleepy. I started feeling crummy as time went on, but I never asked for more medication because for whatever reason I didn't need it this time. At 2:30 AM, I felt like it was time to push, and it was. They got things set up and called the doctor, but he didn't make it in time to catch Samantha. Pushing was so much better than with Lewis. It was more like intense pressure that wouldn't quit until she was born, unlike the excruciating pain I felt with him. I didn't feel like dying, but I did want her out as soon as possible.

Samantha Elizabeth Head was finally born at 2:57 AM on August 31st, 2018. She was 20.5 inches long and weighed 7 lbs., 11 oz., the exact size of her sister! She didn't want to breathe on her own at first, but after ventilating her a bit and putting her on some oxygen, she was fine. She got weaned off the oxygen after she was about 12 hours old and has had no setbacks since.

I felt pretty yucky right after her birth until I got some sleep, but since then, things have improved greatly. The family came to meet her in the afternoon. She has mostly been asleep for the past few days but is starting to wake up more to eat. I always dread the first night at home - tonight. We came home this morning. It was incredibly refreshing not to be stuck there for 5 days. Though the birth was stressful and really long, I still feel like it worked out like it was supposed to. I don't plan on doing it ever again, and this birth experience definitely didn't change my mind on that! Even a "good" birth is still really hard, and there are still the next few emotional weeks to come.

My family is here to help me (Mom, Carmel, Myles, Nash) for varying amounts of time, and James's family will come for a few days after that.

I can do this, but not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment