Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving!

This past week hasn't been too busy. In fact, I can't think of anything of note except that I strained a muscle by putting the turkey to thaw on the top shelf of the fridge. It's finally almost better today, a week later. So lame. I iced it for the first few days, rested as much as possible (ha ha), and then used heat for a few days after. The first few nights, I could barely sleep because of the pain.

James gave a talk on Sunday, and the kids were remarkably good during it. Several people commented on how well they think I do my music calling in Primary. It's so good to hear because I often (always) feel inadequate for the job.

Our trip to Rexburg wasn't too bad. We left at 8:40 and got both breakfast and lunch out to save time on cleanup at home. Our lunch stop was the longest because we let the kids play. Samantha cried some and was pretty upset during the evening after we arrived (4:40ish), but she eventually settled down and went to bed all right, then slept all night. I really do think travel is the worst. The packing and cleaning before, the crying and fighting in the car, the boredom, and then all the work afterward just make for a huge amount of stress for me. While I'm here (or elsewhere), I have a hard time really relaxing because it just isn't in my nature to do so for long periods of time and I'm not at home, so I'm not fully comfortable. The same is true whether I'm at in-laws' or parents' houses. Maybe when I'm old, something will change.

So it's Thanksgiving Day and I'm all alone except for Samantha, who is napping. It's been okay, I guess, but it feels wrong to be all alone right now when so many are gathering already to eat the big meal. Nash is staying here, but he left to go spend time with Carmel. I cleaned the upstairs shower and put the turkey in the oven, then had some chicken nuggets for lunch. Everyone is coming over at 4 (or 5) for the meal, but until then, I think I'm on my own. James took the older 4 kids to his grandparents' house in Victor. We did agree to this plan, but I didn't realize how sad I'd feel the first part of this day. Once again, I wish I could be in two places and see all the people I'm related to. It's year 13 of not eating Thanksgiving with my parents.

On the bright side, it is peaceful and quiet. I already made two pecan pies yesterday and only have to do the turkey, gravy, and dressing. (I'm of the opinion that one should never stuff a turkey and that the dressing should be crispy.) It isn't my kitchen, but it is nice to be able to cook the main course the way I'd like. I suppose I can be particular about things from time to time.

This year has been a tough one, but there are many things I've been grateful for, especially things relating to the timing of the challenges I've been through. They would be too long to list here right now, so I won't, but I feel like things are going pretty well overall even though I have my moments of frustration or despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment