Wednesday, August 2, 2023

JWP, Grumpy and Good, Social Media

The John Wesley Powell Festival happened over the weekend. We attempted to help James's friend Jared with the treasure hunt for 10 grand but didn't have much luck. It was still fun to try. We hosted a game night that night, but I only played for a little while because it was too hot in the cabin.

I've been grumpy this week for a couple of reasons.
1. I'm trying to set up a meeting with stake primary, my presidency, and my music leaders. It's a logistical nightmare.
2. I need to come up with more teachers, and I don't know who to pick. Everyone who comes to church already has a calling.
3. The dishwasher isn't working well, and Lowe's still hasn't contacted me about the protection plan we bough with it. It isn't even 2 years old. Someone is supposed to come fix it within a week. It's been a week, and I haven't ever heard from anyone.
4. Good old PMS.

Good things
1. I sorted through all the kids' clothes in their dressers and storage. Thanks to hand-me-downs and some D.I. shopping this summer, I only needed to buy 1 pair of shoes and some training bras. School supplies were also not as expensive as I thought they'd be.
2. We got my plane ticket to NC for Carmel's wedding in October. I'm flying to and from Vernal and only had to pay $325. The times aren't terrible either. The flight started off at $450 and with a couple of page refreshes, it magically dropped prices. It must be a gift from God.
3. The Boyles came over for dinner last night, and though they left late, everything turned out delicious.
4. I had fun redeeming free kids' meals from coupons the kids got from the library.
5. James took the kids out this morning so I can have a break from them. I'm getting caught up (and ahead) since we plan on leaving earlyish tomorrow morning for a hike. I hope it goes well.

I decided to take a break from social media this week. It's been hard because I rely on it for "doom scrolling", but that's a silly reason to keep using it. Two posts on FB made me feel angry recently. One was about a girl who paid off her house in 8 years. She posted about making homemade pizza to help with that. I literally make homemade everything, but I can't pay off my house yet. Really, it came down to this family having 25k more a year than we've ever had. It's not just about the pizza or how much they've sacrificed. Back when our income jumped 14k one year, we saved about 10k of that. I don't know what I'm trying to prove, though. Even when I do pay off my house, I probably won't talk about it on FB. Everyone has a different situation, and not owning your house does not equal laziness.

The other post was comparing the Barbie movie to Sound of Freedom. It made both movies political in a very unnecessary way. I plan on seeing both at some point. Politics ruin everything, though.

Now that it's August, I can't stop thinking about school. I'm not ready for early wakeups at all. I'm also sad that summer is ending. It's been one of my favorite summers ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment