Friday, August 19, 2011

Fail

Don't you hate it when the rice burns?

That never happened to me until I started using brown rice. Since it takes twice as long as white, I forget about it. So it runs out of water and burns. Or, at least it has yesterday and today.

No, I don't think I'm going to buy a rice cooker. If there's a magical one that can cook brown and white rice together, then fine. Maybe I'll get it one day. I resent the fact that most people cannot cook rice without freaking out unless there's a rice cooker involved.

But life goes on.

I have eaten far too many sweets this week, though not every day. I have not eaten ramen every day either. That's what counts, right? I'm still surprised and delighted at how good I feel for being first-trimester pregnant. I haven't needed any saltines to get me out of bed, though I've got plenty of fatigue. I fall asleep easily at 9:30, and Joseph, bless his heart, has been sleeping until 7. That is not too much sleep! 9.5 hours? I bet I could sleep for 12.

James and I gave a little tour of BYU-I to the Gibsons (from Apex Ward). Funny how Sis. Gibson was James's aunt's roommate in college. It's a small world. We stopped by the fair and looked around. Ha. Free chocolate milk. (Now tell me the point in having fat-free chocolate milk?) It's one of those nutritional paradoxes or something. Make fat-free, watery milk. Then, since it tastes like water, make it all sugary and add some seaweed to thicken it. Seriously. That's what carrageenan is. But I will get off of my soapbox about that. It sufficeth me to say that I am a die-hard whole milk fan. Nothing else will do. :)

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, I do love my rice cooker... and it should be able to cook brown and white rice together just fine. (Although I successfully cooked rice on the stovetop my whole life before being given a rice cooker for my wedding. I just like the texture of the rice cooker-cooked rice best.) Brown rice definitely doesn't take me twice as long as white rice. What I HAVE found, however, is that it needs a little extra water (I usually do about 2 1/4 cups water to 1 cup rice, instead of a straight 2 cups).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I guess I'm doing something wrong. Please advise. I will ask you in person when I see you next, since it's not a matter of life and death!

    ReplyDelete