Monday, August 29, 2011

No Fear

Some days are just better than other when it comes to scripture study. However, I will say that this read-through of the Old Testament is not nearly as tedious as I remember past times. Yes, I've made it through almost all of Deuteronomy. I found a verse that I really like.

"For the Lord your God is he that goeth with you to fight for you against your enemies, to save you." (Deut. 20:4)

Isn't that great? This verse really struck me during a quiet moment on my family vacation this weekend. Don't get me wrong, I love family time, but I need my own space as well. This verse me made think about one of my biggest enemies: fear.

Getting ready for a trip for my own little family and being pregnant in the first trimester makes for a lot of worries before the trip actually happens. How will I get enough sleep, and where will Joseph sleep in the hotel room? What food is actually going to taste good after sitting in the cooler? What if I feel terrible whole time and don't have fun because of it? What if I forget to pack something important, like diapers?

The Lord has helped me fight my enemy of fear. Now that I am home, those worries seem less important, yet still valid. I was very tired because I didn't sleep well, but I survived and had enough energy for the important things. Joseph was able to sleep just fine in the huge bathroom. The food I brought was reasonably palatable, though I still had plenty of nausea to deal with while riding in the car. Thankfully, I was inspired to bring my Zantac, and thank goodness I did. A headache was cured by a swim in the nice pool. I even brought twice as many diapers as Joseph ended up needing.

Where did we go? To Boise! James's cousin, Anna, got married on Friday in Twin Falls, since the Boise temple is being renovated. After a long car ride, being a part of a temple wedding is soothing for the soul. We then drove to Boise from there. James and I had a chance to look around Nampa to see what it's like, and we like what we see. There actually are places to avoid, but we found several good options for areas to live in. No more driving 30 min. to get groceries! The city is much easier to navigate than I.F. or Pocatello, even though it's almost twice as big as either of them. Even the drive to Boise isn't long, only about 20 min.

Anna's reception was Saturday night. They had shaved ice, cheesecake, Swedish meatballs...the works. I love wedding receptions. It's crazy how much work a wedding is, and how much people think that they have to be so extravagant. It's definitely the time to get married, I guess, because Sam's wedding is next weekend, and James's friend Nick's is the week after. Guess what I'll be doing on my next two weekends? I love weddings. It's pretty exciting to get a new sis-in-law as well, because that doesn't happen every day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment