Friday, September 2, 2011

Joseph, the Smart Cookie

I realize that I haven't said a whole lot about what Joseph's been up to. Unless you're around him every day, you've likely missed something! Our little boy is now 15 months old, and it's been a wonderful time to see him grow and change. He went from a calm, sleepy baby to a mellow, adventuresome toddler in the blink of an eye. Personality-wise, he reminds me of both myself and James. Like me, he's reserved and a little bit shy. He's very careful about getting things right. Part of the reason he can't walk yet is that he's been so careful not to let go of anything before he's sure that he won't fall. (Plus...the giant head, which makes him top heavy!) Starting today, he will finally stand up somewhere besides the bed! (which makes a very safe place to fall over--smart boy!) I'm not worried about him being behind. He just isn't quite ready. I'm the same way. I delay things until I'm sure that I can do them right, if I have the chance. Sometimes I need encouragement to get me to move along.

Like James, Joseph has a wonderful sense of humor. He knows when we're amused at something, and he will laugh too. He loves to be surprised (peek a boo, etc.), to bounce on the bed, and to climb on everything. He also loves to wrestle and snuggle at the same time. Don't ask me how that's possible.

Like both of us, Joseph likes to have his quiet time. He will sometimes sit and look at books, turning the pages none too carefully, or playing with his Duplos, which he's getting much better at putting together. Quiet time never lasts long though...

...Because this kid has tons to say! Everything I've read says that kids might have 5 words by now. Joseph can say 20. He knows how to ask for food or drink and recognizes when we use certain words (like nap time!) and can complain about it. It's super funny. These are all the words he knows, and I'll probably forget some...
Mama, his favorite horsey.

Mama
Daddy
Night night
Bottle (baba)
Cheese
Cracker (caca)
Cookie (ga-kee)
Jesus
Plum (bum)
Grandma (mama)
Grandpa (papa)
Guy (what he calls his Duplo man)
Anna (Nana)
Doggie
Kitty
Goat (got)
Go
Bye (!)
Hi (!)
Amen (men!)
No (shakes head too)

It's so exciting that he's learning to communicate with us! I laugh when he babbles questions (which you can tell by his voice inflection) or tries really hard to say a word but doesn't even come close. It's so cute. Anyway, we love this kid a lot. He's a smart little cookie. This past week he learned how to open our computer and to unlock my iPhone! It took me a few tries when I first got it! :)

1 comment:

  1. I like that out of all the words he could know, he knows Jesus. Good kid.

    ReplyDelete