Saturday, September 17, 2011

How to Save a Peach's Life

Nap time is a beautiful time, but it has been even more so these past few days. Sick baby = long naps! My in-laws (and thankfully, their toddler) are in Ecuador for the next week and a half, which leaves me (and James, when he's here) in charge of the household. It's been an exciting few days so far. Joseph gave me his cold. Although a mild one, I haven't felt quite well enough to work out. I've used that morning time instead to tackle some projects that needed to be done, like defrosting the fridge and taking care of some fruit that was about to be no good. Well, on the bright side, I know exactly what's inside the fridge and should be able to find everything, especially the extreme moose tracks ice cream. (I'm also convinced never to buy a side-by-side. I feel like things get hopelessly lost much too easily.) Thanks to the almost-useless peaches, we now have fruit leather...like 10 big rolls of it. There still remains the question of what to do with all the sad-looking plums. I have no answers.

Maybe it's weird, but I find it exciting to take a "useless" food - overripe fruit, wilted spinach, random leftovers - and turn it into something delicious. I don't like for things to go to waste, but I don't want to eat gross food either (like really mushy peaches!) It sort of feels like saving someone's life and turning it into something useful.

We had a sweet rainstorm yesterday. Fall is here. The garden is happy, and so am I, because I don't have to water it. The laundry got done early, and the house was even clean for a while. Hopefully I can dissuade Joseph from further exploring Grandma's sugar drawer. ;)

1 comment: