Thursday, October 6, 2011

Goal!

I read a book this week called Faithful, Fit, & Fabulous that I borrowed from my mom-in-law. It's targeted at people who need revitalization in their lives, so I thought I might as well read it since it isn't too long.

I love to make goals. I am the person who always has some kind of checklist. It has to be on paper so I can cross things out with a pen. If I'm really glad to have gotten something done, I cross it off very thoroughly. :) Thanks to this month's General Conference and this book, I feel that I have some great things to work on till the end of the year.

Basically, the book has you make 8 goals in different areas of your life and accomplish one each week. Ironically, the hard part for me isn't making or achieving the goals. It's in rewarding myself. I guess I can be a harsh judge of myself sometimes, and I don't feel that I deserve rewards unless I'm doing perfectly. I'm okay with other people giving me stuff, but I have a hard time doing that for myself. (No "retail therapy" happens in this house.)

I'm cheating and doing two goals this week: limiting my intake of sweets and starting a scripture journal. So far, it's working great. I really love having a scripture journal, but I've been slacking for the past year. The Conference talk on scriptures really pushed me to make my study time more meaningful. I'm glad to say that there is something be learned from any passage of scripture, no matter how dull it is to read! Of course, I'm not trying to lose weight by limiting sweets, but I do feel a lot better than when I was eating them every day. My rewards will be to watch a chick flick and try a new, exciting recipe.

I'm glad for goals. I am glad that the Lord has such high expectations of me that I can always improve! Perfection is definitely a long way off.

1 comment:

  1. I don't do the "retail therapy" thing either! Shopping stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete