Thursday, October 20, 2011

Uncle Mike's Funeral

We went to Utah and back today, so it was a long day! We left at 6:00 a.m. and got back around 8:00 p.m. The  funeral started at 11, but there was a family prayer meeting before that, led by Grandpa Head.

I hadn't been to a funeral since 2000 when my grandma died. I guess I didn't remember much. Mike's children gave very touching remarks about him. I learned a lot more about him, since I never knew him extremely well. He was a great guy. It was really great to meet the rest of his children, the only cousins that I hadn't met, since they live far and wide.

I have sort of mixed feelings about a day like this. It's completely heartbreaking for the close family, especially Aunt Derin. Yet at the same time, it felt like a family reunion, minus one person. We even got to eat a nice family dinner together (complete with funeral potatoes) and talk as if nothing were out of the ordinary.

I'm starting to get even more excited about having another baby after seeing all the babies there. It's not that I'm not already excited, but I don't show it very much, I don't think. I have my moments when I doubt if I'm ready for another newborn, but then I see one and am reminded of how amazing kids are. Joseph was a really good sport during our almost 8 hours of driving. I love that little guy. We are blessed to have such an even-tempered, smart little boy. When we got back, he went straight to the bookcase and started looking at his books. I can't wait to teach him to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment