Friday, January 13, 2012

Thoughts

The Church really knows how to make good lesson manuals. I loved every lesson in Gospel Principles, and I’m already excited about the new manual for this year, Teachings of George Albert Smith. I can already see why this man was called to be a prophet. It’s apparent that he led an exemplary life.

The first two lessons have already given me time to reflect on myself a little bit.

Do I always have time to help those that need me the most? I thought about that this morning when I was getting impatient with Joseph. Nothing seemed to make him happy, and the times when I have to tell him “no” are getting annoying because he has mini tantrums. I could always be better at paying attention to him in the first place and not causing difficult situations where I’ll have to tell him “no” (like eating something in front of him that I don’t want to share)!

Am I trying to do better than I’ve ever done before? I wonder what it’ll be like to be the mom of two boys pretty soon. Am I cut out for that job? Do I have enough patience, or is it going to wear thinner with each child that comes to my family? In order to fulfill my role as a mom, I’m going to have to be twice as good as I am now.

Am I doing as much as I should? I have moments when I have time for leisure. Am I really spending enough time nurturing and teaching Joseph, not just entertaining him?

Is my life evidence of my testimony of Christ? There are definitely times when I could be kinder, more patient, and more charitable. I judge people too quickly just by appearances.

Do I have charity for the weaknesses of others? I know for sure that I don’t much of the time. I think this is the most difficult application of charity. I can easily justify my own weaknesses, but then I turn around and condemn others for having different ones.

I need to change myself. Perhaps it’s a good thing that we get two of these lessons a month, because I have a long way to go.

This week, I finally feel like I'm "home". James's student teaching is going well, I'm settled into my routine, and we're having lots of fun exploring the area some more. Pictures to come soon...I hope! I also found a doctor from a very good recommendation at church. I'll actually be seeing an OB/GYN that's a woman. Imagine that! I'm excited. Only 11 weeks left till baby boy comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment