Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Nampa so Far

I can’t believe how fast the last week went by. It’s been one of those weeks where the days all ran together.
Monday and Tuesday, we packed. It took as much time as I thought it would, not longer or shorter. I guess that’s okay, but it was still a really long two days! We said goodbye to our friends the Baldwins. I’m still trying not to think about it.

Wednesday, we loaded up the truck and made the move. Last minute cleaning wasn’t bad, but I hate packing the last 10% of our stuff. It just doesn’t fit anywhere! We were blessed with perfectly rainy, cloudy weather, which meant it wasn’t hot and the sun wasn’t shining in my eyes. Joseph was an angel till 5:00, and we arrived at our new apartment at 5:40, just in time to sign the papers before the office closed. We unloaded and unpacked for a few hours before crashing.  I didn’t sleep well, because it felt too weird.

Thursday was spent unpacking as well. We finished, up to every last picture frame, at 9:30. What a relief! The only terrible part of the day was trying to take a shower with a broken shower head and then trying to take a bath, only to realize that the drain stopper was also broken. Epic fail. Five dollars at Walmart solved that, thankfully. We returned the moving truck and stocked up on groceries, which cost exactly the same as in Idaho Falls. It’s nice to know what to expect down to the last penny!

Friday, we relaxed a bit, got library cards, and watched a few episodes of the Cosby show. We also checked out the thrift stores for a lamp. No luck there, but I got two more exercise videos. Best of all, I found a double stroller for only 20 bucks! I wasn’t really looking for one (actively, anyway), but I was really grateful to find it. We need absolutely nothing for the new baby except diapers, and that’s still 3 months (give or take) away.

Saturday, we relaxed a little more and took a walk on a nature trail. Joseph loved the ducks. We also checked out the park that’s within walking distance of our house.

Sunday,  we went to church at the wrong time. The website said 11:30, but we showed up for the wrong ward because of meeting changes. I’m completely fine with that, because I don’t like 11:30. We will be meeting at 9! I couldn’t be happier, because it means Joseph will have a normal nap and this pregnant lady can have normal meals. J What can I say? I really am a creature of habit. We went to Aunt Jenny’s house for dinner, and it was delicious and fun.

This apartment feels like a mansion so far. Besides the dishwasher deciding to break today, everything is great. I’m not surprised, because I’m pretty sure that the dishwasher is 30+ years old. No joke. It’s a dinosaur. We literally have twice as much space as we did before. It’s a lot quieter and weird without the family downstairs. I don’t think it’s really sunk in yet that we live on the other side of the state from them. I really like our location, because I can walk to the grocery store, the hospital, or the park. We are right at the edge of civilization and the country. The weather is 10-15 degrees warmer than Rexburg.

Joseph has adjusted, as far as I can tell. He had a little bit of a challenge with his new, big room compared to his tiny, dark closet, but he didn’t even cry a lot, just enough to break my heart for a few days. I think he is starting to understand that this is our new home.

We aren’t sure about internet, mainly because it’s so darn expensive. For now, it’s the library’s wireless that we’ll use. Yes, I'm at the library right now!

James has one more week until school even starts. We’re going to do some more exploring of the area, see the capitol, etc. I have some small things on my to-do list still, but nothing that will take too long. I’m really excited to get back to my “normal” schedule, even though my exercising will be alone and my piano practice will be on a little keyboard. Such is life.

I’m grateful that we were able to get settled in so fast. It looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear you're enjoying your new adventure so far! Mine is...yeah. It'll get better though. I know I'm supposed to be here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sacha! Welcome to Nampa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Anna! And Kira, have no fear. I'm sure that it will get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy you're in Nampa! But sad that we're not there too. :) Where are you living?

    ReplyDelete