Friday, January 11, 2013

Fashion & the Mom Body

Does anyone every buy something cute, take it home, wear it once, and then decide it wasn't so cute after all? That seems to happen to me for about 1 in 3 shirts. If the shirt was from D.I. (most are), I don't feel too horrible about getting rid of it after a year or so of suffering through wearing it. By get rid of, I usually mean give back to D.I. if it's still in good condition. If not, it gets turned into yarn. If it's more expensive (well, new, which usually means a gift), I can't bring myself to just get rid of it only for not liking it anymore.

I'm not an expert seamstress. Really, I'm not. I have no idea how to mess with patterns. I make things up as I go, poke myself with pins way too often, and still want to give up every time my machine starts acting up. Certain problems still baffle me. But enough with that.

Pinterest is the king (queen?) of craft ideas, especially when it comes to repurposing. Now, I don't ever go out and buy things to repurpose on purpose. (Haha.) I doubt I ever will after today, because it's REALLY hard to change the original design of clothing, unless you're simply making it shorter or removing something from it.

Because of my blurry camera, you can't see all my mistakes. I'm sharing these just to show that you don't have to give up on things that almost fit. If it's just a crummy old T-shirt, why not take a chance and try to change it? There are lots of ideas out there, so why not?

I HATED these sleeves. They make my "man shoulders" stand out.
No more sleeves! I end up wearing 2 shirts 90% of the time.
It's all the immodest stuff that looks good on me. Go figure.
Weird neckline.



Non-weird neckline. I had to do this by hand and improvise to get rid of a few weird puckers.
This is a knit with big enough stitches so I couldn't use the machine.

This T-shirt was given to me along with the pants.
It made me look short and fat.

It turned out a bit tighter than I wanted, but I don't look fat anymore!
There is a weird pucker under my armpit. Oh well.
P.S. Those are Ecuadorian pants, but not actually PJ's as they appear to be.
I need things that look good on me, because I am a little self conscious of how I look when I'm nursing. A few hours of sewing while James had a long day at work did the trick. All my shirts now fit me well, and I know that tailoring is not the job for me! I can certainly appreciate those who do it for a living, though. :)



2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Cindy! It was a lot of trial and error, probably more error than anything. I think you'd laugh at the goofy pucker under my armpit. It just doesn't show up in the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete