Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sisterhood

I feel that I've reached a milestone in my life.

Until now, I've never quite felt "at home" in a Relief Society. I was either one of many students, just another newlywed couple, or the poor college students with one (or 2) kids. I felt a little lost in the crowd, though I'm sure that was my own perception because I've always had caring leaders. I felt guilty many times for being "the needy family" who couldn't contribute much to the ward - we were just the takers of others' service.

That is no longer the case. I feel truly united with the sisters in my ward in a way that I never have. The women I've gotten to know aren't exactly like me. In many ways, they are different. One sister is old enough to be my grandmother. Another has never had children and is middle-aged. Some are my age with children, but they have vastly different interests than I do. (A woman I visit teach, my age, loves to decorate and redo furniture. I'm completely lost on things like that!)

If I wanted friends exactly like me, I probably wouldn't find any. Even if such a friend were possible, who says we'd even get along? :)

I'm glad to be a part of this Relief Society. I don't know how long I'll be in this particular ward, but it won't be forever. I'm glad to be here as long as I can be, because I feel needed and loved. I hope that the sisters I know get the same feeling from me.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! This is one of the reasons that I don't want to move until we actually leave the state... I love my ward and the RS in it. They have been so welcoming and friendly. Right now I feel super out of it because I have only made it to RS a handful of times in the last 4+ months because I was on bedrest, but I just love this ward. And I LOVE living in an area with more age diversity than Rexburg. ;)

    ReplyDelete