Thursday, April 11, 2013

Family Visit

We invited James's family to come stay with us during their Spring Break, which happened to fall over Conference weekend. I'm all recovered now, but I was pretty worn out from their visit, much of it self-inflicted. You'll see why.

The family arrived Thursday night. On Friday morning, I went birthday shopping with Melodie. My goal was to find a really good swimsuit, plus some new white shirts/camis since I wear them under everything. We checked out every clothing store in Vernal...all 6 of them, not counting Cal Ranch. That's not my style since I'm not a cowgirl. I tried on what felt like a million things, and I managed to find all the white things I needed. No luck on swimsuits, because swimsuit makers are foolish designers and don't seem to realize that swimsuits should probably have underwires and adjustable straps, not just one or the other. I remember why I hate shopping for clothes. Being almost done with my first trimester, I'm a little chubbier than normal, so nothing really looked good on me. However, I scoured online and found a good swimsuit from Target which should be showing up any day now! It's maternity, and I'll wear it with man swim shorts. No one wants to look at my thighs. On that note, we went out to a nice, fattening lunch when we were done shopping. :)

James took his parents and siblings to see the dinosaur quarry and petroglyphs. I was going to take a nap, but the boys refused, so I sulked instead. I was pretty tired and annoyed. We celebrated Kenny's 1st birthday and had cake. I already put that video on FB...but I'm behind on blogging, as always. Kenny loved his cake and dug right into it. Joseph, on his first birthday, ate his cake very carefully and didn't make a mess. It's funny to see the differences between those two. We all went to the rec center to go swimming, and everyone had lots of fun.

Saturday was my spring cleaning during Conference. I wish I hadn't decided to wash the covers on 3 car seats, 2 strollers, and the bike trailer. And high chair. Strollers are really horrible to take apart! However, everything came out looking nice. I dyed the bike trailer a dark blue since it was really faded. It took me the whole 2nd session to put everything back together, and James was kind enough to lend me his drill. I still ended up pretty sore the next day. How lame is that? I will never do it again for the strollers. That was just too intense. I'm pretty happy about the clean car and clean car seats we have. Kenny is now is the big convertible seat (rear facing, which is lame, but necessary) and Joseph in a new (to him) seat from Uncle Joseph. I tested it, and there's no way on earth that 3 car seats will fit in the back seat of our Corolla. We will absolutely have to get a new car by October or make 2 trips to go anywhere as a family. Hopefully we will be able to get something nice and keep our current car rather than trade it in. During priesthood session, we checked out the local bookstore (not Deseret, but sells church books) for ladies' night. I didn't win anything, but I've been pretty lucky in the past. Darn.

Sunday was more enjoyable since I listened to whole time and didn't do anything else. We had a relaxing dinner and played Cranium.

The family left Monday morning, so I've been relaxing (to some degree) this week. I've been going a little crazy with James staying late some days (till 6) since I've not been awake when he leaves in the morning. It's tough knowing that he works so hard but doesn't get paid a penny past 3:30. When is he ever home at 3:30? Never, unless someone has a dr. appointment to be to.

Kenny had his one year checkup, and he's doing great. I always knew he was a pig. He's gone up to the 20th percentile on weight, just where Joseph is. Joseph was more consistent his first year, but Kenny's been all over the place. I think 20th is where he'll stay. I have 2 short, skinny boys with big noggins. Kenny's learned about 10 words already and he's starting to pull up on everything (to kneeling). Maybe he will walk a little sooner than Joseph? (16 mos.)

My pregnancy has been completely uneventful. I've had no nausea to speak of, just a little bit of breaking out which has thankfully cleared up. I'm not as tired as I was the first few weeks, and I don't have any aches or pains since I've been working out. 30 minutes makes all the difference, and I count myself lucky if Kenny doesn't climb all over me and try to bite me while I'm on the floor. (That little vampire!) I can't wait for my first ultrasound next week. I'm dying to know what I'm having since yard sales are in full swing, but I'll just have to wait till June. :)

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about your family. You are doing such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate clothes shopping too!!! (And swimsuits are the worst.) The day before I left the hospital post c-section I put on a pair of yoga pants and realized that wearing pants was going to be out of the question for a long time since the waistband killed my incision... my sweet mom ran to DI and picked up a handful of comfy dresses to wear. It was SO nice because I didn't have to go find stuff myself, LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting clothes in the mail from my mom. She always finds stuff that fits. It's nice not to have to try things on.

      Delete