Thursday, November 23, 2017

Unlucky

So, I realize why I dislike October/November. Bad stuff almost always happens to my family.

2009: James ended up with a really bad kidney stone that required surgery.

2010: James had to get a ton of dental work done, and we had no insurance.

2011: Uncle Mike passed away, and he was way too young.

2013: I had a baby. Though a wonderful thing too, it's super tough to have a newborn. Adjusting to 3 kids really kicked my butt at first.

2015: James had another kidney stone surgery.

2016: Tons of things went wrong when we were trying to register our cars. It cost a lot of extra money, time, and worry.

2017: James had a bad reaction to his gout medication, which caused him to throw up and get really dehydrated. His potassium level dropped dangerously low, so I took him to Urgent Care and then the ER last night. He spent the night in the hospital get rehydrated.

 There is always a silver lining.

a) We can afford all the medical bills because we have good insurance AND savings.

b) We will get to eat out for dinner. It should be a different, but fun experience.

c) We'll get to attend Holly Days (a sort of festival downtown) tomorrow. We are never here for it.

d) It will be, in a way, a more relaxing holiday now that everyone's home.

I do miss my family, but I haven't spent Thanksgiving with my parents since high school anyway. I guess I've gotten used to that. It's still a bummer we don't get to see Mara and Ricky, Nash, and all the Heads. Next year. This is still only the second most exciting week of the year. It wasn't as stressful as the NICU! Thank goodness for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment