Thursday, July 30, 2020

Pioneer Day, Adventures, Slower Pace

Friday, we celebrated Pioneer Day with fireworks and the new Jim Gaffigan special. Samantha hated the noisy ones but was fascinated by the lights.

Saturday, we had a pretty good day working in the yard together. I've actually really missed mowing the lawn, but James did that while we all cleaned up and swept everything. I really like our backyard. It's fun, so the neighbor kids love coming over. We are the only house with a pirate ship and giant sandbox. That night, we walked on the nature trail near our house and got some food.

Monday, we went to the Ouray Wildlife Refuge and Pelican Lake to look around and take pictures. We didn't see a ton of wildlife, but the kids had a really good time getting in the water in just their underwear.

Tuesday, James and I got lunch and went shooting for a date. It was a lot of fun, especially because we shot lots of different types of guns (rifle, shotgun, handgun). My favorite is still my "cowboy gun". It's really easy to load, and I'm a pretty good shot with it.

We were supposed to leave for NC yesterday. Instead, my parents contacted me about coming to visit us in August! That's not too far away, and it will be before school starts, which will be the most risky thing we do this year. Having 2 people come here will be a lot safer than the 7 of us going cross-country and then being in the same house as 13 other people (20 people with only 2 bathrooms is tricky, too). I'm excited for them to visit, but I feel guilty too. I don't think I'll ever quit feeling guilty until the pandemic is over.

There are things I've enjoyed about this summer. Thanks to the pandemic and James not working (since he doesn't need to), I can sleep when I want. My natural bedtime gravitates toward 11 when I'm given the choice, and I sleep until 7-7:30ish. Going back to school will require a shift from all of us, and it's going to kick our butts at first. Having a slower summer has been nice for my recovery from surgery too. Being able to lift up to 20 lbs. is a nice change, but I can't wait till I can lift my toddlers again. Hugs aren't the same when they have to climb to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment