Thursday, October 22, 2020

Fall Break, Dentist, Darkness, God's Plan

James went hunting all day Saturday, so I got a little bored and decided to experiment with making candy. I perfected my pralines recipe and tried out some old-fashioned fudge. Despite what everyone says about it being so hard (and costing like $15 a pound), it really wasn't. I just followed the instructions and made sure to adjust for altitude. Next time, I will make a few tiny tweaks like using a smaller pot so not as much gets wasted on the bottom/sides, stop stirring it a few seconds sooner, and try adding peanut butter. (I made peanut butter fudge yesterday with chocolate on top, but I think I'll like chocolate fudge with peanut butter better.) One thing about buying candy is that I don't see how bad it is for me. A pan of candy takes a TON of sugar, more than an equivalent amount of cookies or cake.

I had the kids stay home on Monday since they all had dental appointments. Everything went really smoothly! I got a babysitter for the younger 2 so I didn't have to wrestle them in the waiting room. Miraculously, no one had any cavities either! I told them they could choose $5 of candy each if none of them had any. (I know, I know.) We will not be trick-or-treating since Covid cases have now surpassed their first peak back in early August. Our county is still doing relatively well, but I could also see school getting shut down in the next few weeks. There are still no official outbreaks, but I worry. I've had 10 headaches this month so far. :(

Getting up in the dark is terrible. The boys don't seem to mind much, but it has affected all of the girls. We all wake up kind of grouchy and just don't want to start the day. I wish there existed a place with sunrise at 6 and sunset at 9, but I'll just have to keep on dreaming. At least the winter makes me appreciate the summer.

Overall, I still feel somewhat happy. I was inspired to write down how James and I met. The story took quite a while since I covered from when we first met (September 2006) to when we actually got married. It's a complicated and sometimes painful story. For many years, I felt terrible about some of my dating history, but I realized through writing the whole story that God's hand has been in my life the entire time. I didn't mess it all up by making some poor decisions. He already knew what mistakes I'd make and provided for me through all of it. He also never abandoned me, even through the darkest of times. That gives me so much hope for the future. James's health problems are so unusual that we don't have any idea how long he'll live. I don't need to worry about any of it because God will provide for me, no matter what happens. I'm trying to do what's right, but even if I do mess up, things are going to work out. Knowing this gives me more peace than anything right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment