Thursday, October 15, 2020

Projects, Play, Fall Break

I got a few really big projects done this past week, which made me feel great. I built the shelf for the boys' Legos, and most of their creations fit! We then took apart the entire room: closet, under the bed, the Lego table, and cleaned everything thoroughly. I did the same kind of thing for the girls' room a day or two before. Needless to say, I love the results and wish they'd last.

Saturday, James put in our new (to us) dishwasher. I'd gone to Lowe's last week, but I felt that I should wait on a dishwasher. James saw on FB yard sale that our neighbors were getting rid of theirs since they didn't need it, so we paid them only $50. We ended up having to fix a few small parts in it (like the spray arm), but it's the same model as the old one, so it worked out. While James was installing that, I went under the house to put insulation where it had fallen down. Those 2 jobs are the worst part of owning a house. Both are smelly and really gross. I wore my mask under the house because I couldn't breathe well without it. Insulation is icky to work with, and it was muddy and yucky down there, too. I'm glad we had some extra insulation from our cabin. I used all of it! Hopefully, none of our pipes will freeze this winter. I also made a real cover for the crawl space out of some scrap plywood and random brackets we had sitting around. It took under an hour and was really simple. I love projects like that. I also love using the jigsaw. It's just my size and doesn't scare me like a circular saw.

We got a new (to us) dresser for the boys' room. I had just been thinking about getting one and upgrading Lewis, and then our neighbors who just moved posted about it on Facebook. After an hour of cleaning it, fixing the tracks, and adding some new knobs, it looks better than any dresser in our house except for mine (which was new). I'm really pleased with the result. While I was getting the dresser, my friend Claire invited me to come to her play. I wasn't sure about the social distancing thing, but James and I went Monday night. Most people weren't wearing masks, but we tried to keep our distance (sitting in the back away from others) and wore ours. I still feel kind of paranoid since then, even though we weren't around any sick people. I thought people were going to be more careful, but I was wrong. It's the riskiest thing I've done during the pandemic, and things are starting to get worse again in my county, even though they're still not terrible (no school outbreaks so far). We did really enjoy the play, The Dastardly Doctor Devereaux, and Claire was amazing.

We've had a good fall break so far. The kids decorated and carved pumpkins yesterday. I ran some errands and did a lunch date with James. Today, he is shooting with Devin while I do my normal stuff around the house.

This week really has been full of tender mercies, namely the cheap dishwasher, the free dresser, and finding a Harry Potter shirt at D.I. I had been thinking about all of these things beforehand and was able to find them easily and cheaply. I'm really grateful when those little things happen. They show that God is really looking out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment