Monday, November 29, 2010

Homecoming & Talents

This past weekend was full of festivities due to the homecoming of my brother-in-law, Sam. I can't say that he looks a lot different, but he is very much like James was when he first returned from the mission: full of the fire of faith. I love to see recent RM's, because they really do have a certain glow about them. They also want to shout from the rooftops how amazing the Gospel is. It was really great to see family that we haven't seen for a while (since the family reunion in June.) A cousin also had a bridal shower, for which I made a cute apple print apron. I didn't use a pattern and it was different than I had originally planned, but I was pleased with the result. (That's all that really matters, right?) I wish I'd taken a picture, but I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

I was reading recently about the parable of the talents. I noticed the phrase "every man according to his several ability." We don't all come into this life equal, but we are all given talents, whether it be 5, 2, or 1. What really matters is what we do with them. When the day of reckoning came, the Savior was equally pleased with those who had received 5 and 2 talents. They had both doubled what they'd received. They were both made rulers over many things.

I used to think that I didn't really have any talents. After all, I don't play a sport and I can't play a musical instrument. I've never been a very good actress, storyteller, or comedian on the stage. It's taken me years to realize that I am still of great worth without those things. I'm okay with the fact that my capabilities are not those "stage talents" that make the crowd cheer.

It's a little early, but there are a few talents I really want to focus on. These are the things that I'm not so good at but want to be.

Singing--I'm going to join the ward choir again. It's been tough with a small baby, but I loved it before.

Sewing--I want to make at least one project a month. I may never venture into the realm of fancy clothing or using complicated patterns, but I can make some simple things.

Knitting--I want to learn some more stitches and also make one project a month. It's nice to have lots of warm things to wear, and it's fun to be able to design your own!

I will probably think of more things, but sports will probably never be on the list. :)

3 comments:

  1. You don't need to work on this one, but cooking! It definitely made me cheer anytime you came round the stove or oven, cause I knew the results would be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Oh I love your blog! They are just so much fun! And by the way I want to see some of your sewing projects. I saw a few from high school that I can remember, but I would love to see the new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor! Once I make something, I will definitely take a picture. My next project will be a hat for James that I'm going to knit. P.S. Thank for teaching me how to knit in the first place!

    ReplyDelete