Wednesday, November 9, 2011

More than Sew Sew

I have finally found my niche in sewing. I realized that I can "fix" the few things that really bug me about sewing: following patterns, machine problems, having to buy expensive materials, and pinning, especially because I stick myself all the time! Solutions...

bean bags, knit blanket, and bag "ladies"
pillow and quilt pics to come when they're done!
1. Not using a pattern. Everything I've made recently is from leftovers or scraps, so I've been able to come up with my own designs along the way. It's fun. I'm no sewing genius, so I have ripped out a few seams here and there.

2. Machine problems? I learned that I can fix almost any minor issue as long as I have the user manual beside me. Suddenly, I feel like an expert on a machine that I haven't used very much (my mother-in-law's, since mine needs a part before it will work again!)

3. Free materials! So far, I've used up old shirts, jeans, and other random stuff to make Joseph's jean quilt, a "boyfriend" pillowcase, 2 bag "ladies", and some bean bags. I haven't had to pay a cent.

4. As for pinning, I can't always avoid that. However, the first few hours of sewing the jean quilt required no pinning whatsoever, so it made me like life just a little bit more. :) Getting stuck fingers is no fun!

I have to admit that I'm very pleased with the jean quilt so far. It's been quicker that I thought, the design looks cool, and I won't have to pay even a penny to make it, thanks to the box of old jeans, free thread I "inherited", and a flannel queen-size flat sheet that I'll use for the back. I'm so excited to keep working on it, and I think I can have it done for Christmas for my little guy!

Life is pretty good here. I did a quick "sweep through" to find stuff for the stake's "give and take" (aka free yard sale, but inside) on Saturday. I'm excited, because I got some really good stuff last time.

Culture shock: We attended a Latino wedding reception last Saturday. It went from (no joke) 4 to midnight. We stayed one hour and felt a little lame, but I was tired after eating such an amazing dinner. I want to learn how to make real refried beans like that.

It's a little sad that winter is here. I don't think I'd mind so much if it weren't so dark all the time. Short days make me grouchier than normal.

We find out the gender of our baby TOMORROW! I still really feel that it's a girl, but I guess we'll just have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment