Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Small Things

I feel like December has laughed in my face so far. All that I've really wanted is a simple month. It really hasn't been. It's been a month of working myself too hard, slight car trouble (especially lame when you only have one car!), and overall stress because of the end of the semester and our upcoming move.

I know that God wants me to be happy. I've been forgetting to "look up" from all that's been going on to realize the small and simple things that bless my life each day. The small and simple things are so easy to overlook, but I think they also bring the greatest happiness when we stop and realize how wonderful they are. My small and simple things for this crazy month...

1. The smell of baking bread. I've always loved that smell, but it was even better a few days ago, because I was making a loaf that would be given away. It made me feel good to have a decent "Plan B" Christmas gift after I'd run out of eggs!

2. Naptime all at once. For the most part, it's been a good transition for Joseph. It's somewhat more convenient, and I can get a lot done in 2 hours. I love my easygoing little guy. He's napping as I type.

3. Cups instead of bottles. I thought that taking away the bottle would be hard, but it really hasn't been bad. An added blessing is that Joseph drinks less milk, which I'm grateful for. I was planning on cutting him back anyway, so now I have less work to do!

4. Nursery. Primary lessons are much easier to plan now that James can help, and they are a lot less distracting without Joseph there. He doesn't cry much, and I love seeing his little smile when we pick him up at the end of church.

5. Crocheting. It was much easier to pick up than I thought, and though I still need practice, it was cool to do something new at the end of the year. Usually, I'm feeling kind of lazy by now.

6. Lights. I love our solitary strand of lights draped across the bookcase. It brightens up the place and looks really awesome when the lights are off. Joseph loves them too.

7. A new apartment. I'm excited that I will finally have my own washer and dryer, a lot more space, and even a pool! It will be great to sit at a kitchen table again. I've really missed that.

8. Great friends. I think I enjoy grocery shopping more than the average person, because I have a good friend to go with. The drive to Idaho Falls seems very short, and we both save lots of money. :)

1 comment:

  1. Grocery shopping is one of my highlights of every other week!!! :) I'm SERIOUSLY going to miss you when you are gone!

    ReplyDelete