Thursday, September 1, 2016

2 Jobs

This past week has been a bit stressful. James put in something like 16 hours with his second job. On top of his teaching job, that is a lot of time he isn't home. Over the past few days, I've seen him for about 1.5 hours each day. Tuesday night I had a mini breakdown because of the stress of him being gone. It didn't help that I had just been to a doctor's appointment where they claimed I gained 9 lbs. last month. Actually, it was 5, and it was over 5 weeks, and I got weighed in the afternoon, not morning like my last few appointments. The last thing I really want to worry about is how much I weigh, but it's hard to avoid the issue completely since I'm obviously going to put on weight constantly for the next 4.5 months. That is one of the many things I dislike about being pregnant. At least I have been sleeping well at night and napping again. I do feel pretty good overall.

When James is gone extra hours, I try to fill the time with meaningful things (not TV) so I can feel useful. I had a few failures that got me down. My grape jelly did not set up, and the new recipe I tried for dinner on Tuesday night was unpopular. I think I was the only one who liked it. I did have success with canning on Monday. I made my first ever batch of pickled green beans (aka dilly beans, though I didn't have any dill). I'm waiting a few weeks to see how we like them before I make more. The rest of the green beans are in the freezer.

My neighbors have been so generous with the produce. I have received lots of squash, cucumbers, and green beans. I love a big bowl of boiled squash with salt and pepper. It makes up for my pitiful garden. I still hope for some tomatoes, whether by donation or from my own plants, so I can make a batch of salsa. We are going though the salsa from last year really fast.

We have been looking at yard sales for a dresser for the baby, but no luck yet. If we don't find one by Christmas time, I think we might buy our first ever new dresser from IKEA to use for ourselves and give the baby our old dresser. Aside from buying a dresser - and diapers when the time comes - there is nothing I need to buy for this little guy. I can't wait till the time gets closer and I can actually set things up for him. I love looking at those tiny pajamas and wondering how a human can ever be that small.

No comments:

Post a Comment