Thursday, September 15, 2016

Phenix Visit, Projects

We had a good time with Myles, Mara, and Carmel. They arrived around 9 pm last Wed., so we hung out and talked. The next morning, we went to see the dinosaur bones at the quarry. Carmel had never been. I think we all had fun. After lunch I napped, and then my siblings went shooting with James. With the arsenal my family owns, it seems like a necessary tradition to make sure the guns are still working. We attended the ward dinner/BBQ (as they call it in UT, though I would say cookout), and that was fun too. We just hung out for the rest of the evening, and everyone left the next morning.

Saturday, Joseph and Kenny and I went to Tayson's 7th birthday party. Going to birthday parties convinces me over and over that I will never be the type of mom to plan a party, which is fine. My kids love going, but that's just not my thing. It seems like a ton of work. I like having a small family gathering with cake and a few presents, and most of the time I am too lazy to use decorations. I do appreciate the effort that other moms go to in order to make a cute theme happen. The theme of this party was cars.

Sunday was actually kind of terrible. We had Primary program practice, which I think is the worst part of being in Primary. It's loud, irreverent, and very difficult to sit through. I had very little time to give my lesson, and I had 11 kids and only 10 copies (and the library isn't open during class, of course). It was a little rough. I always felt really appreciated as the pianist, but I hardly ever feel that way as a teacher. I suppose being at home with kids all week doesn't make me super excited to continue it on Sunday. (And I sit alone during Sacrament meeting, which is often very stressful and not fun. Katie is a terror.) This too shall pass.

I bit off a little more than I could chew on projects, but by some miracle, I ended up finishing all but one so far.

Monday: made a Shutterfly book of our summer. I get two free ones every year, so scrapbooking a whole years costs me $16 and takes only a few hours. I love it. Also organized bathroom cupboards.

Wednesday: built a linen closet inside my walk-in closet. Our house did not come with a dedicated space for linens, something that's always bothered me. This project involved cleaning 6-gallon buckets that had been outside for a while, cutting 2 by 4's so they'd fit, cleaning said wood off, hauling in a few cinder blocks, and then putting everything together. I also sorted through our junk wood pile and got rid of most of it. We never use it anyway, but that did take extra time. Now all my linens can go in one place! It looks a little ghetto, but I don't care. It took me a few hours and cost me absolutely nothing.

I also started a scrapbook for Lewis and sorted through all my rags so I can prepare to make another latch hook rug.

Today: cleaned the shed and swept up the mess from yesterday.

Organization is a never-ending project. I am always finding things that are worn out and need repurposing (or to be thrown away), things that have outlived their usefulness, or random messes in cupboards or closets that encourage me to pull everything out and reorganize. I can honestly say that I know where everything is in my house, down to the last finish nail. It's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment