Thursday, February 4, 2021

Salt-Lake-Cation, School Outbreaks, Curd

We had a wonderful trip to Salt Lake last weekend. The getting ready part was definitely stressful, but I didn't forget anything! We had no problems on our drive and didn't even have to stop on the way - a miracle. Samantha threw up right as we arrived, but we got her cleaned up and she was perfectly fine the rest of the trip. She gets carsick sometimes, but Kenny had no problems, thanks to anti-nausea meds. Our first stop was at Cabela's to look around at the animals. It was a huge hit with the kids, even though only the fish are alive. After getting dinner at Chick-fil-a, we checked in to our Air BnB and enjoyed some time in the hot tub. James and I hung out the rest of the evening and watched TV.

The next morning, we ate breakfast and spent more time in the hot tub. We then went to the zoo. Everyone had fun and kept their masks on. Since it was a random weekend in January and the zoo requires staggered entry and prepaying, it wasn't crowded at all. Samantha struggled a little to keep her mask on after an hour, but it was easy to stay 6+ feet away from other groups. We got a lot of good pictures and saw all the animals but one, I think. Basically, it was a great success. We went home after lunch and spent the rest of the day resting. No one got quite enough sleep the night before, so bedtime was especially welcome on Saturday night. I'm really glad we took the trip when we did.

The high school technically had an outbreak last week (more than 15 cases in the school). They shut down school for Wednesday and Thursday and required all students to get tested before coming back. I just got a call last night from Katie's principal saying that Katie's class has an outbreak (3 students), so Katie is home today and will have to get tested before going back on Monday. All the kids at school wear masks, and she said she doesn't sit near the kids who were quarantined. I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm 99% sure that she doesn't have it.

I made lemon curd for the first time yesterday since I had some random lemons and leftover egg yolks from making Lewis's birthday cake. This morning, we put it on pancakes with Nutella, and it was divine. I want to try it on waffles next! It's just one of those small things that's keeping me sane right now. I bet it won't be the last thing I make that's inspired by the Great British Baking Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment