Friday, December 30, 2022

Christmas in Rexburg

Things over Christmas went better than expected (for the most part). We had an uneventful drive there with a stop at Del Taco and the Army surplus store in Shelley. We then had a yummy dinner and hung out with everyone. My biggest complaint that day was the lingering cold from traveling in subzero temps. I couldn't get warm to go to sleep for quite a while.

Friday, we did sealings at the temple. James got to be sealed for his 9th great grandfather, also named James Head. The Rammells came over for dinner that night, and it was noisy, but fun.

Saturday,  I did some baking/cooking in the morning. We had Christmas Eve dinner with the Lees. It was really nice, the usual stuff, so I had a stomachache afterward. We exchanged presents with the cousins. (Our kids and their cousins drew names for each other.)

Sunday was Christmas morning! We opened at many things as we could, went to a lovely Christmas program at church, and opened the rest and ate scrapple afterward. We then headed to Victor for Christmas dinner: ham, cheesy potatoes, rolls, etc. I made the dessert for it, something called peppermint fluff. I had my doubts, but it turned out really good. The kids did the Nativity story again for Grandpa Head. I noticed the candles were missing that he and Grandma used to light every year, so I asked him about them. At first he said they didn't matter because she was gone, but I got a text 30 minutes after we left saying that they'd found the candles and lit them, just as they had for the past 60+ years. I really missed Grandma Head on Christmas, and I know Grandpa was too. I'm glad I was inspired to remind him of the candles.

Sunday night, James and I escaped for a night to relax at a hotel. It was wonderful to have some peace and quiet, plus sleep in and eat a nice breakfast. We even sat there and read our books for a while and then went to D.I. to hunt for treasures Monday morning. Emily Vergara came over with her kids in the afternoon. The adults (minus Rex, who was watching the grands) went to Righteous Slice for dinner, which was absolutely delicious.

Tuesday, we went over to Sam and Jesse's house. That evening, James went to hang out with Sam, Kenneth, and Nick for a "guys' night" thing. I made mini cheesecakes for Jacob's birthday.

Wednesday, I went to Costco with Melodie and stocked up on nuts and a few other things. We did homemade pizza for dinner on Melodie's new pizza stone, and that was delicious as well. The cheesecakes were yummy too, and just the right size. Since it was Jacob's birthday, a couple cousins came over to play DnD while I watched a Christmas movie with my in-laws.

Thursday morning did not start out well. Kenny threw up 4x during the night and Lewis once. Joseph was also in a grumpy mood for some reason. Things got better once we started driving, and we got home around 6:30 P.M. We unloaded the car, started shoveling the foot of snow we got while we were gone, and opened a couple more presents and treats. By bedtime, I had everything clean and unpacked.

It's been a busy Friday. Kenny has mostly recovered, I'm almost done with laundry, and I'm about to help with the shoveling. Joseph and James went to the temple to do baptisms and will come home with groceries and library holds. I got an excellent night of sleep as well. Though I have some Primary stuff to work on, I have it all written down and don't feel terribly stressed about it. I should be able to have a pretty lazy New Year's Eve before the crazy Sunday in Primary that will be coming after.

It was a really good trip. Everyone got a lot of sleep. We had awesome food, presents, and lot of fun playing board games and hanging out with family members. I am still glad Christmas is over and can't wait for a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment