Monday, June 20, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

I survived playing the piano in Sacrament meeting for the Primary children's song! They were so quiet when they sang that I could barely hear them!

As I've said on FB, we will be moving for James's student teaching at the end of the year/early January. It makes me feel so sad. I thought we'd be here for a year and a half and not have to move at Christmas time for the 3rd year in a row, but I think that the Lord has other plans for us. I just wish that I knew what exactly those plans were. :) Then again, I never thought I'd live here either, but it's been such a great blessing.

Fathers are so wonderful. I never realized how important they are until I saw children who'd grown up without fathers. It's not enough to just feed, clothe, and nurture a child. Families need patriarchs to lead and guide their spiritual well-being.

I've always known that my dad has a testimony. I remember discussing scripture mastery cards before school as early as 2nd grade. I remember that he took the opportunity to teach us small lessons here and there about the Gospel, always using tough questions to make us think. Bedtime stories were almost always mission stories or scripture stories, and Dad knew every story ever written in the scriptures. Many times still, I am astounded by how little members of the Church know about these stories, simply because they've only read the children's book versions of the Bible.

Dad taught us how to work together. We got to help with the garden every year. I still think that there's nothing better than gathering bags full of produce from the garden, then bringing it in for Mom to cook and can. I can't wait to have my own huge garden one day.

Dad is also known for his sense of humor. I don't think it's necessary to explain that, because I think I inherited it. Needless to say, I love to be in a room of Phenixes. Humor make life so much more enjoyable.

Dad got me into family history through his mom. He still reminds me to keep going on that when I get really bored with it. I don't tend to think of it as a big accomplishment, but Dad gets the pretty charts ready and reminds me that the fruits of my labors are very much worth it.

At least until I was 11, Dad knew everything. Then, he started telling me to look it up. I still do. I'm grateful for that iPhone for when I don't have the computer at home. I love to learn about random things. I hope that my kids will think that I know everything...at least until they're 11.

My dad is an inspiration to me. I am so glad that he's my dad. :)

I'm also grateful for my Heavenly Father, and, of course, James. James is an excellent dad to our excellent little boy. I'm pretty glad that I found him...or he found me. :)

1 comment: