Monday, May 21, 2012

Why I Love Conference Talks

They give me quotes like this, from Elder Holland:

"The thing God enjoys most about being God is the thrill of being merciful, especially to those who don’t expect it and often feel they don’t deserve it."

I am definitely one of those people. For so long, especially since I've been married, I've been the recipient of many blessings that I feel I don't deserve.

I was able to graduate from BYU-Idaho with no debt. The Lord helped me find good jobs during the summers to make enough money to pay for school. James was also able to graduate with close to none (nowhere near the national average of  $20,000!)

I got to marry the man of my dreams, despite opposition from all the haters who say that "girlfriends never wait for their missionaries." (He never asked me to wait, and I never said I would, anyway. It just worked out that way.)

We've been blessed with 2 adorable, healthy boys that bring us joy every day. All my life, I'd dreamed of being a mom, and I get to live that dream every day. It's not always easy, but it's the best thing I've ever done.

We've received opportunities that have helped to take care of our family in the form of good jobs. James was able to get his 2 jobs last year because of inspiration (tutor and teacher's assistant). Those 2 jobs look great on the resume he worked on this year. His job that he just finished at night school was offered to him randomly, he's been able to sub a fair amount, and he's even gotten into summer school, which will help pay for our long move coming up. Summer school ends literally 2 weeks before his job in the fall starts up. The timing couldn't be better.

As for the job, it's history! James loves history. You might say that it's his passion. History jobs are pretty rare compared to science jobs, so I think it's a real blessing that he got this one. And Vernal, since it's close enough to drive to Denver, will actually save hundreds of dollars when it comes to flying to visit my parents. As in, it will cost less for 3 of us to fly than it cost for 2 of us to fly from Salt Lake. That's pretty sweet.

So yes, it may have sounded like I'm afraid of moving to this teeny town that I've never seen (yet). I certainly am. Moving is expensive and a ton of work, and I have 2 kids now instead of one, which complicates packing. However, I am very excited to see what the future brings. After all, this could be our home for more than a year!

2 comments:

  1. so, I guess I totally missed both your facebook post and your blog post about Vernal. Now I feel dumb for that text convo! ;) I'm excited for you guys, and I hope you can find housing. And as for living off of a teacher's salary - Mahon's first job made just barely over minimum wage. But we felt RICH compared to being students! I know you guys will be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this great post. I just re-read Elder Hollands talk last night, and its such a message of hope! I have a good friend from Roosevelt, which is right by Vernal, and she LOVES it out there. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete