Saturday, March 12, 2011

Heart, Might, Mind, and Strength

I decided to get myself in gear and work out in the mornings. As fate would have it, on my first day of doing that (yesterday), James and I went to the i-Mazing Race on campus. It was super fun and we got to go around and find clues (and do challenges, just like the show), but boy am I sore today. I am terribly out of shape. It's time to make a change and do some real working out so this doesn't happen.

There is such a big connection between the body and spirit. From the scriptures, we know that we should strive to overcome the natural man, that is, we should let our spirits rule over our appetites and passions.

I've been reading a few books on nutrition, and it's astounding to see the role of advertising in what we eat. Because of evil people that want money, we are sold foods that look good on the outside (and claim to be healthy) but are actually laden with addicting ingredients and carcinogens. D&C 89 warns us of this in verse 4: "In consequence ofaevils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts ofbconspiring men in the last days, I have cwarned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—"


We have been told so many things about nutrition that it's hard to know what's real and what isn't. We know to avoid drugs. But what about trans fats, MSG, HFCS, and all those long, weird ingredients?


I guess we have received counsel on that. The prophets have urged us to save money, for moms to stay home, that we eat dinner as families, and that we grow gardens. To me, that means more home-cooked meals and less eating out of boxes or in restaurants, which really helps to avoid all those processed foods and huge restaurant portions. And when we grow our own stuff, we know exactly what went into it and that it's as fresh as possible.


We are so blessed to have this law of health amid all the confusing advice of nutritionists, scientists, and people that just want lots of money. The Lord's guidance is needed now more than ever.


Just a side note:


I think that nutrition can be taken on so many levels. I read a book about raw foodism, and it was really interesting. I can certainly envy the author and her excellent health. We aren't required to do such an "extreme", natural, uncooked, organic diet. I think that those who can and do should be commended, but for the rest of us, we just do the best we can. These are mortal bodies, imperfect in many ways. No matter how perfect (or imperfect) the food is that we put into them, they will die eventually. So...I might as well have some ice cream while I'm here.


I highly recommend this website: wordofwisdomliving.com. It has lots of really sensible advice without getting too scientific about stuff.
And this book: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, by Michael Pollan. He goes into the history of nutritionism and why America's diet doesn't work for us. He also gives simple recommendations that follow this motto: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. It was a fascinating book to read.

5 comments:

  1. "No matter how perfect (or imperfect) the food is that we put into them, they will die eventually. So...I might as well have some ice cream while I'm here."

    HA! That so made my morning! What books have you been reading? I actually just put the Pollan book on hold at the library! :) And I completely LOVE that blog. I think it does an amazing job of tying together the new food research with the Word of Wisdom. It really amazes me how much revelation can prepare us for things - back in Joseph Smith's day when everything came untouched from farms, there probably wasn't a big deal with eating whole foods in season, etc... but now, the Word of Wisdom says almost exactly the same things as the most cutting-edge food research. The Gospel is truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It truly is!

    I put them on my Goodreads account, so you can see what I have to say there. :) But Pollan's was my favorite. Still, the book I read on raw foodism was really interesting, and it still proves what he says, that plants are the best.

    I'm definitely grateful that you recommended the blog. It rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit raw foodism is the part where I just sort of roll my eyes... mostly because people who are raw food people are SO aggressive about it! (Plus, some veggies are actually better lightly cooked, it helps release their nutrients). Sounds like an interesting book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that she wasn't. She decided to do it because of health problems, and they went away. I think I'd go insane on such a diet, but it was cool to read about why she did. And she wasn't snobby or environmentalist about it either. If she had been, I never would've read it. I do admit, I much prefer cooked over raw food. Always. Except for fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My #1 food conviction is: One size does not fit all. Because I have health problems and food problems, I have had SO many people tell me to try different diets. What I've ultimately decided is... some things work for some people, and not others!!! I'm actually learning that raw food is really hard on my digestion - I still eat lots of raw fruit, but hardly any raw veggies. That sounds like a cool book, though. I'm with you... I'd go insane. ;) And not be able to digest my food.

    ReplyDelete