Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ooh, We're Halfway There!

...livin' on a prayer!

That's right, it's almost the halfway point of Lent. I can barely believe it! A wise lady once told me to think about our goals in terms of adding rather than subtracting. Instead of worrying about not being able to eat desserts, I've been adding better foods to my daily snacks. Some of my favorites are whole wheat bread with a little butter (real butter is the best!); apples with either a sprinkle of cinnamon, cheddar cheese, or peanut butter; carrot sticks with homemade ranch, and soon to be homemade yogurt. :) Hmm...that's making me hungry.

I found a quote in the Book of Mormon manual that I really liked:

"It is not natural to the natural man to remember yesterday's blessings gratefully, especially when today's needs of the flesh press steadily upon him." (Neal A. Maxwell)

Reading quotes like that make me super excited for Conference this weekend! It's so true in my life. I often forget to think about all the wonderful things that I have. I guess that's the purpose of Lent. In "lending" my love for sweets for 46 days, I've come to appreciate those wonderful foods that have been around since the world was created. This has helped me realize that I can live without those foods that are basically creations of men. (Not that they're all bad. Take chocolate, for instance. :) ) Anyway, Lent has been such a good learning experience. I had no idea that this would happen, and I doubted my own sanity at first. It's definitely been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment