Monday, March 28, 2011

Music

At this point in my life, I'm not really sure what my favorite type of music is. Back in high school, I liked the normal "pop" stuff that everyone did. I never loved hearing it a billion and a half times, however, and I never loved rap or country. I enjoyed some punk rock, alternative, and even a dash of heavy metal (gasp!).

I think there is a time and place for pop music. It's great for working out if you're all alone. It's nice to listen in the car when you're zoned out and not thinking about much of anything. Most of the time now, I don't listen to a whole lot of music. Most of what I hear is what I play on the piano, so it's either a hymn, a Primary song, or something classical. I have a much greater appreciation for this kind of music. Pop music is about entertainment, but hymns uplift and inspire, no matter how simply they are written.

I think I've figured it out, though. The teenage years are the junk years of one's life: junk food, junk attitude, and junk music. That's because the brain is going through a lot of junk, so naturally ingesting junk seems to make sense. I definitely had lots of junk moments.

All that junk really doesn't make sense to me anymore, so I guess that means I've grown up...or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment