Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kenneth James Head

*Nothing graphic, I promise!*

This week has been full of blessings. Monday rolled around, and still no baby. However, James was able to apply for insurance, since he's graduating and won't have any between now and a job in the fall. It turns out that he applied just in time! If we'd been busy with a baby, he might be in trouble right now, or at least after April 16th, when his coverage ends.

All in all, Monday was a reasonably calm day. Tuesday was hard to get through. I'd made up my mind not to be induced already, but it was still hard to justify waiting when everyone's coming to visit me!

Wednesday morning, I woke at 3 a.m. with contractions 10 minutes apart. They were just barely painful enough to keep me awake, so I read for a while. With Joseph, I'd also started labor at 3 a.m. and had gone to the hospital at 7 a.m. This time, I waited.

The day passed uneventfully. I ate regular meals, because I had no nausea. I also went on a walk, took a couple of naps, and enjoyed a couple of warm baths. I even thought about working out, but I was too tired. At my dr. appointment at 2 p.m., she told me to go to the hospital at 6 a.m. the next morning if I wanted to get Pit for augmenting my labor. I agreed, because I knew I'd need to show up at the hospital before that.

By 7 p.m., a warm bath wasn't helping anymore with the pain. We checked in at the hospital. I got an epidural right away and relaxed until about midnight. That's when the real pain hit. Epidurals (for me) don't even come close to getting rid of all feeling. I thought mine was broken, because I felt like I was going to die from 1:00 on. Thank goodness, Kenneth James was finally born at 2:15 on April 5th, 2012. He was 7 lbs., 8 oz., and 21 inches long.

Mostly, he's been sleeping, but he's also been eating here and there. I think he looks a lot like James and not a lot like what Joseph looked like as a newborn. He's gotten quite a few compliments on his head full of blond hair. We love him and can't wait to take him home tomorrow!

I'm really glad that I just waited it all out. I saved myself  a ton of pain by not using Pit, and I felt a whole lot better due to the fact that I'd eaten and slept all day instead of starving, puking, and being in misery strapped to a bed, which is what happened with Joseph. If the epi had worked better at the end, I'd say that I had a very ideal delivery (for me, at least, because who thinks that 24 hours of labor is ideal?!)

I really like this hospital. They have good, healthy food, and I get a whole menu to look at for each meal. The bed is comfy, though of course I've been sweating to death...totally normal for recovery, especially since I'm sitting on a plastic pad thingy. There is also wireless! Hence the blog post...

James slept here last night/this morning and doesn't have work again today, so the time has really flown by. I've been dozing, eating, and holding my precious baby. Mom and Carmel will bring Joseph to visit again. I don't think he dislikes Kenny, but he isn't sure what to think of me being in the hospital. He doesn't like being told not to play with the buttons on the bed!

I can't believe that I have 2 boys now.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so excited for you! Congratulations! I'm glad your delivery went well and he is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how exciting!! Congrats! and thanks for not getting graphic! lol

    ReplyDelete