Monday, April 4, 2011

I Wish I Could Say More...

...about Conference. But alas, this was not one of the times that I was as attentive as I could be. What I remember, however, are the themes that stood out to me.

I finished this for Joseph on Saturday!
Embroidery is not my strong point, but
I think it turned out pretty cute!
1. Family. It seem that there has been a lot of emphasis on parents raising a righteous, rising generation. What a daunting task! I forget sometimes that it's already begun for me, and though I'm not a perfect parent, I'm doing the best I can.

2. Pain/trials of life. I marvel at how things that I'd think would be hard (like living in a tiny apartment, getting up in the middle of the night every night, being so close to my in-laws) end up being great blessings. I've learned how to get enough sleep, use every ounce of space (and keep that tiny space clean!), and how to live in a multi-generational house. It's been a great blessing, because with the lack of soundproofing, I tend to speak more softly when I would have been tempted to raise my voice. Also, no matter where we live after this, it will seem huge!

3. Personal revelation. I love the comparison to sunrise and turning on the light in a room. As I've been blessed with inspiration, I've noticed how utilizing it brings additional light into my life. Even during the hardest parts of my life, I felt the Savior reaching out to me, even though I was not reaching back. The Lord shows us He loves us through these wonderful little rays of light and tender mercies.

4. Service. I've never heard the Church Welfare System mentioned so many times! I'm glad that the Church is so wonderful in every aspect, both spiritual and temporal. The doctrine of the Gospel truly changes lives and makes better people.

We had a great time listening to Conference at home and going up to Driggs to visit Grandma and Grandpa Head. There was good food and company, as always. I'm so glad for families. I'm also grateful for our inspired leaders who give such wonderful talks twice a year. There's no way that I can possibly improve on everything they ask at one time, but that's why Conference is semi-annual!

1 comment:

  1. I've really noticed a growing emphasis in the last few years on parenting and creating a Christ-centered home. It started (that I noticed) back in the fall of 07, with Sister Beck's "Mothers who Know" talk. The last 4 or so conferences have REALLY had a theme of family and home, in my opinion. I love it! I noticed those other themes, as well. I think it's so wonderful how nobody is given an assigned topic, but almost always there end up being themes that emerge.

    ReplyDelete