Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Joseph's Birth

Since I haven't been too faithful about writing in my journal this summer...I've chosen Joseph's birth as the starting point for the blog! So please forgive me if you've already been informed about all these events from May 30th until now. I just don't want to keep the current paper journal I have. It's one of those without lines where my writing is all crooked and weird-looking. Plus, only about 10 pages are occupied, so I really don't want to have a random 10 pages hanging out somewhere in my already-huge pile of journals.

I was quite impatient for Joseph to be born. As the end of May approached, I thought I would go crazy. I was terribly uncomfortable (although not too big) and just tired of being pregnant. I was a little nervous, but I felt the assurance that everything would be okay. It's hard to know what to expect from all that anyway, since pregnancy is so different for everyone. I think the final week was the hardest, because the doctor told me I'd probably go overdue. It was not what I wanted to hear, since Mom was coming into town. I also did not want to be induced and have a higher risk of a C-section. Needless to say, it was a frustrating few days.

Mom arrived Friday night (the 28th of May) and I woke up the next morning around 3 in labor. (I'd been worried that I wouldn't know what it felt like, but I sure knew that this was the real thing!) We went to the hospital a few hours later. Joseph wasn't born until the next morning at 6:29, but somehow I made it through. The memory of the pain fades so quickly, I could hardly remember it once I left the hospital. Well, it's not something I would want to remember anyway! Before having a baby, I had never been a patient in a hospital. The most serious thing that happened to me was getting my wisdom teeth removed, and that wasn't even painful or difficult. (I ate regular food that same day.)

Joseph was 7 lbs. 3 oz. and 19.5 in. long. Right from the start, he was very alert. He was wide awake when I first held him, and I just couldn't believe that he was MY baby! (I still think that sometimes). At birth, he had very dark blue eyes, blond hair, and very skinny limbs. He has a very calm temperament (unless very hungry!)

Mom stayed for a week total to help out. Surprisingly, everything was easier than I thought it would be. I felt great and got a lot done while the baby slept, which was a lot. Getting up at night wasn't (and isn't) too bad most of the time either. It was funny to hear Mom accidentally call herself "Mommy" and then correct it to "Grandma". I guess I don't really think of her as a grandma because she isn't old enough! Well, she doesn't LOOK old enough.


James adjusted well to being a dad. From the start, he loved holding Joseph and just talking to him. Everyone says Joseph looks like me, but he definitely has his daddy's cleft chin. :)

2 comments: