Friday, September 10, 2010

Gratitude

I can't help but feel grateful for this past week. It's been a pretty normal week, but also one of change. Fall has definitely arrived in Idaho, so that means no more sandals for me. It also means no more leisurely walks to the park in the warm sunshine. Summer this year was but a fleeting moment. Yesterday made me appreciate those 6 weeks of summer even more.

We had planned to take a trip to the park and zoo, but alas, nasty weather greeted us. Along with the chill breeze, there were ominous gray clouds and bone-chilling rain. I am grateful for the rain. It reminds me of those sunny days when going outside took little effort and we opened our windows at night to feel the cool breeze. Now, we hide from the elements as much as possible and turn on the heat. Although our trip to the zoo didn't happen, I am grateful for the day that did. I had James at home almost all day, the first weekday since I don't know when. We had a little picnic in our living room and then went on a drive. Instead of the zoo, we ended up browsing the mall and Ross, where I finally bought myself some some really cheap jeans. I love jeans. I think they're my favorite kind of pants in the world. Plus, I'll never make it through the winter without them. They might be a mile too long, but I am grateful that I know how to hem them, even if I don't have perfect sewing skills.

My pride and joy
James started school today. I am grateful that we have the opportunity to have such an amazing school. I loved going to BYU-I, but I am also grateful to have graduated. Seeing everyone else start school makes me a little sad, like I'm missing out on something, but I know that my time in school is done--for now.

I am grateful for this little baby that brightens my days. I thought I had discovered myself, but I realized that I hadn't until he was born. I know that there are more children to follow. This little family is just getting started. I am ever grateful for eternal families and for my own family that lives so far away. Yet, the light of the Gospel connects us. I do not despair at the distance, and those moments I have with my family are cherished even more than ever.

I am grateful for faith and prayer. Without these two, it wouldn't be possible to know all the things that I do. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is certainly true. There's no way it couldn't be. Even I, as a simple homemaker, find great joy and fulfillment in my life each day that I remember the far-reaching effects of my work.

I am grateful that the Lord has entrusted me with such responsibility. I hope that I may always live up to my privileges.

No comments:

Post a Comment