Monday, September 20, 2010

Sickness

I just want to say that I HATE BEING SICK! Taking care of a baby when you don't feel quite right is hard! There are no breaks unless the baby takes a nap, and that is no guarantee for Joseph at this age. I am so glad that James will be home later this evening to help out.

I realize more and more why children need two parents. I might be the only one to feed Joseph, but James does SO much to help out. Sometimes I'm just too worn out to play with Joseph anymore, but James is always willing to make him laugh. It's the sweetest sound in the world. James is so good at being the goofy daddy. I don't know how single parents do it. There are days that I feel that I'm about to go nuts...and I only have one kid. It's such a sacrifice of time and energy. Joseph has been going through another growth spurt, and it's tough. Combined with being sick, my energy is completely sapped--not to complain, though. I enjoy good health and have a very healthy, cute baby. Days like this make me so grateful to have overall good health.

I think that hardest part of being sick (for me) is the effect on my mood. It's been a stressful few days because of lots of changes that will be coming up. James and I have both received impressions to move in with his family. The apartment upstairs isn't even done yet! The more I think about it, the more sad I am to be leaving this apartment and moving into a smaller one. Yet, we moved a year ago from our first apartment, and everything worked out just fine. There are so many things I'll miss: having 2 bedrooms, a dishwasher, a great ward, and awesome friends so close by. Argh! It's just so frustrating sometimes to get an impression like that. It makes perfect sense to move, but it's not what I want. Not at all. I guess you could say that it hurts my pride, because I said I'd never live with my parents (or husband's parents) unless I really had to. This is one of those moments where I really need to work on accepting the will of the Lord and learning how to want what He wants for me. It's going to take some time, so I'm really glad that this impression came early and not in December. The Lord knows me better than I know myself, and He knew I'd need some time to come to terms with it. *Sigh*

There must be a reason that I heard Pres. Clark's talk about the poison of entitlement twice this past week. I am certainly "entitled" to happiness as anyone else, but that doesn't mean that I won't have to work for it! Happiness is always found in doing the right thing, whether it makes sense or not.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you are having a hard time!!! Being sick is NO FUN. I wish I could offer to come and help but... you guessed it... I am sick too!!!

    I know what you mean about having to accept that some ideas you thought were convictions were actually just pride talking. I had NEVER, and I mean NEVER, considered not graduating college. I must admit, I definitely judged women who got married and then dropped out of school (especially when they didn't have kids right away). Then, while I was engaged and in my first year of marriage, I found myself confronting and coming to terms with the idea that I'm just not meant to graduate right now. I had no idea how much my pride was wrapped up in the idea of being a college graduate until I had to face the possibility of NOT being one.

    I hope that after you guys move (and we move!) we can still hang out! When are you thinking of moving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the end of the year or beginning of next year. It's not far away, so we can definitely still hang out (and go shopping) together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that is when we are thinking we'll move too. Glad to know you'll still be near-ish!

    ReplyDelete